phpBB Development Fund

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum Dude

phpBB Development Fund

Post by Forum Dude »

Hi All,

This is my first post here. Ultraquick intro: I've recently become an admin on a community forum, where they use YaBB. We want to break away and use something more reliable, powerful and which is still being developed. Unfortunately, due to converters available, our options are only SMF or the commercial vBulletin.

I actually found myself seriously considering vBulletin despite the pricetag (divided between the admins, it's easily justified). However, I don't like being tied down to a commercial package. What if the yearly fee suddenly hikes up? I'm stuck with vBulletin and I either have to pay the new fees, or be stuck with an old version which will never be updated. I prefer the freedom of open source software as well.

Then the thought occurred to: just because phpBB is free (both in price and freedom), there is no rule to say we can't encourage development, by supporting them with our pounds and dollars. phpBB 3 is looking like it will knock the socks of the likes of vBulletin. Personally, I'd be happy to contribute to a fund to help development of phpBB 3, especially if this helps speeds up development. Other open source programs do this, or run "bounty" programs where developers are paid for implementing a feature, etc.

Has anyone considered setting up a fund to support phpBB 3 in this way, to support the developers. How would developers feel about this, and would you be willing to commit more free time to work on phpBB if you were being paid?

I don't know if this is feasible but I wanted to know what people thought. Personally, I'd be happy to contribute to such a fund, to support development, and especially if it means I could get my hands on phpBB 3 that much quicker. How does everyone else here feel about the idea? Has it been considered before?

the_dan

Re: phpBB Development Fund

Post by the_dan »

It's been discussed innumerable times, and the answer has always been no. Searching on here or the main phpBB site will reveal the justification and subsequent discussion which has already taken place.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

the_dan wrote: It's been discussed innumerable times, and the answer has always been no. Searching on here or the main phpBB site will reveal the justification and subsequent discussion which has already taken place.

They were selling Bertie Bears for a time… but they are sold out for now.
http://www.phpbb.com/shop/bear.php
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

code reader

Post by code reader »

actually, if you look at the phpbb page at sourceforge.net ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbb ), you'll see a small $ sign next to acydburn's name.
this means that acyd is accepting paypal donations. just click on his name on that page, and then on "Make a donation".

true, this is well hidden, and i'll be surprised if acyd received many donation so far, but if the OP wants to donate, (s)he can do so without the need to buy a bear.
Meik Sievertsen (acydburn) has provided the following information about why you should donate money to them, and how your donation will be used:

This donation is in no way affiliated to the phpBB project, it is meant as a donation to me as a person. Donating do not mean being able to demand anything, please be absolutely sure you want to donate some money because you want to. The money received through donations will be used to create free space for developing, buying an editor or a server program to test with. Again, donating does not mean any special treatment, you will get nothing in return. Instead you will know that you helped a person getting a better development environment. ;)

i don't know of a way to donate to any other team member, or to the project itself.

(and, btw: in the past it was stated that the price of the bears only covers the cost, with no profit made, so i doubt if this can be considered "financial support" )

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

code reader wrote: actually, if you look at the phpbb page at sourceforge.net ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbb ), you'll see a small $ sign next to acydburn's name.
this means that acyd is accepting paypal donations. just click on his name on that page, and then on "Make a donation".

This donation is in no way affiliated to the phpBB project, it is meant as a donation to me as a person. Donating do not mean being able to demand anything, please be absolutely sure you want to donate some money because you want to. The money received through donations will be used to create free space for developing, buying an editor or a server program to test with. Again, donating does not mean any special treatment, you will get nothing in return. Instead you will know that you helped a person getting a better development environment. ;)

Has no relevance whatsoever to the phpBB project.

code reader

Post by code reader »

you are right, except that the OP asked:
Forum Dude wrote: Has anyone considered setting up a fund to support phpBB 3 in this way, to support the developers.
i told him, i think, that you can't really support the project, but you can support the main developer.
code reader wrote: i don't know of a way to donate to any other team member, or to the project itself.
i actually quoted acyd's stipulation regarding what this donation will and will not mean.

the only phrase i forgot to add was "FWIW".

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

the_dan wrote: Has no relevance whatsoever to the phpBB project.

no relevance?
Instead you will know that you helped a person getting a better development environment. ;)

that's relevance enough :)
You help the lead developer get a better development environment and you help the project :)
I just wish they had some way to spread it around to the other developers since people like DavidMJ, dhn and Naderman have put in plenty of time of their own.
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat

camm15h

Post by camm15h »

Forum Dude wrote: Personally, I'd be happy to contribute to such a fund, to support development, and especially if it means I could get my hands on phpBB 3 that much quicker.

I wouldn't of thought donations would mean it would be released quicker, the funds would 'encourage' the team to work more on it but I wouldn't of thought it would affect its release date. :) IMO anything 'earnt/contributed' would be a bonus but at the end of the day it's not got alot of say in its development.
Paul Cammish
Former Moderator Team Leader | Hull IT Solutions System Engineer

PM me for MOD or Style installations, board upgrades & customisations.

quick5pnt0

Post by quick5pnt0 »

What happens to all of the revenue from the google ads at the bottom of every phpbb.com thread? Or the revenue from the links sold on the main page? From what I remember phpbb's hosting is donated so unless there are costs I'm not thinking of somebody must be pocketing money.

I'm all for supporting the devs, but I have a feeling they're already well taken care of.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

quick5pnt0 wrote: What happens to all of the revenue from the google ads at the bottom of every phpbb.com thread? Or the revenue from the links sold on the main page? From what I remember phpbb's hosting is donated so unless there are costs I'm not thinking of somebody must be pocketing money.

I'm all for supporting the devs, but I have a feeling they're already well taken care of.

I would hardly call Ad money "well taken care of".
That probably takes care of the lunch bill for the year.
It would take a lot of money to create a project like this if the developers were paid full time.