New CAPTCHA

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: New CAPTCHA

Post by Highway of Life »

Midnight Phoenix wrote: I havn't had any bots register in about 2 months!
Have you had any humans register in about 2 months?

ALL CAPTCHA's can be broken, yes, even this kind... even the scrambled English.
But it all depends on how worth it is for the Bot programmer to make that adjustment in his application/spambot program.

If everyone has an advanced Bot prevention method, it's going to make it very difficult for spambot programmers to keep up.
So the idea is to be unique, make your CAPTCHA or bot prevention method different than anybody else and you will stop the bots...
UNLESS you have one of the biggest boards on the internet, then people will just make bots to specifically brake your CAPTCHA's, even if they are unique and unlike anything else....

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

spambot wrote: I added a hint.. Adjust your focus until the squares blend (click on the image for full view).
hint.png

i cant' come anywhere close to reading that....

of course I do have an eye condition that prevents me from reading anything remotely like that or those damn worthless magic eye piece of *beep*.

nontitle

Post by nontitle »

so far, I think that the CAPTCHA that spambot made is the best one. its clear, powerful, and even looks good. The 3d bitmap one could probably be better (readable-wise) if it was less rotated and maybe came out of the picture more and (computer-unreadable-wise) if you combined it with other captchas such as the one with various fonts and rotations and if the bends were varied a little bit...

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

So now, a few months have passed, what do you think of the new captchas?
Having all options enabled (noise, etc.), I sometimes happen to find some one that is quite unreadable for me, in fact I have to retry two or three times before passing through (luckily, you only have to reload the page without losing anything - annoying nontheless). Think of the granny. ;)
Do you think that disabling some of the options will make them much more easily breakable?

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: So now, a few months have passed, what do you think of the new captchas?
Having all options enabled (noise, etc.), I sometimes happen to find some one that is quite unreadable for me, in fact I have to retry two or three times before passing through (luckily, you only have to reload the page without losing anything - annoying nontheless). Think of the granny. ;)
Do you think that disabling some of the options will make them much more easily breakable?

Personally, I have turned off all the options so it's easy for people to get through.
There are some options that I can't get through on the first try.
Since more options only makes it more difficult for people... I like to make it as easy as possible for people to register.
Frustrating them will only result in them leaving :| it won't stop bots from coming.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I don't know about you...but I don't think it can get too much easier than what it is on my site:

http://www.lithiumstudios.org/phpBB3/uc ... e=register

All that I have tried were extremely easy to read. :)

They way it is setup here it is very hard to read:

ucp.php?mode=register

b3rx

Post by b3rx »

it can be set in the acp.
visual_verification.PNG
(15.18 KiB) Downloaded 1487 times
if you set it all to enable i think the visual verification will be harder to read. just like here at area51
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

Case

Post by Case »

Are those additional GD Captcha options available in Beta 5? I don't seem to have them.

b3rx

Post by b3rx »

im not sure never tried the other betas well its located in the acp -> board configuration -> visual confirmation settings
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

I can tell you that if you have non-complex CAPTCHA's enabled for any guest postable areas (HIGHLY recommend moderation-queue for these areas) spambots will easily brake those CAPTCHA's.
So it is recommended that you enable the more advanced options there, especially if you don't have any other prevention method active.