phpBB 3.2

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: phpBB 3.2

Post by Highway of Life »

What for? why does it "need" AJAX?

AJAX itself is not a feature. So your statement makes no sense.

juuldr

Post by juuldr »

Highway of Life wrote: What for? why does it "need" AJAX?

AJAX itself is not a feature. So your statement makes no sense.

I think AJAX isn't good for phpBB or to many AJAX is bad, but ajax to alter the topic title easy like in IPB should be great!

marosell

Post by marosell »

there was talk about it, or rather, once 3.0 is out and 3.2 could be a version where they might think about using some. it shouldn't be thought of as "a feature", highwayoflife is right. i may be beating a dead horse, but its more like... icing on top of a cake or sprinkles on icecream.

sometimes its good, other times its too much, not needed, and more trouble than its worth. while i've seen it do pretty cool things, its effectiveness on phpbb in my opinion would be limited.

Highway of Life

Some "Things" it could be used for:
Whoisonline reloading without page refreshment. (currently it refreshes the page).
Quick Edit <-- I don't see this as being implemented.
Other than that... it's really extras that are not needed by default IMO.
That may change later, depending on what we are going to get in 3.2/4
I don't even think they will implement a Quick Reply in 3.2/4 either, judging by the response from the development team to that particular feature. (they even censored it because it was requested so much! 8O )
:D

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

I really like how phpBB3 is now. I can not think of other things to add other than a seo rewrite script or something like that. But maybe that is not even going to be a feature.
hmm....

Rove

Post by Rove »

Highway of Life wrote: I don't even think they will implement a Quick Reply in 3.2/4 either, judging by the response from the development team to that particular feature. (they even censored it because it was requested so much! 8O )

Hmm, why won't they implement this feature? Why is the development team so against it?

Freelance

Post by Freelance »

Rove wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: I don't even think they will implement a Quick Reply in 3.2/4 either, judging by the response from the development team to that particular feature. (they even censored it because it was requested so much! 8O )

Hmm, why won't they implement this feature? Why is the development team so against it?

this is mentioned before, phpBB is forum software, with quick reply it would to much start to look like a chat.
Sh*t Can Happen !!!
[Building a large project based on phpBB3 - Progress 15%]
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]

Highway of Life

yexusbeliever wrote: I really like how phpBB3 is now. I can not think of other things to add other than a seo rewrite script or something like that. But maybe that is not even going to be a feature.
Yes, I don't think everyone would want it as a feature, and plus, it does require MOD Rewrite AFAIK, however, many web servers don't have this feature enabled. So it would severely limit the usage of phpBB3
Also, FYI, the SEO Rewrite has already been created for phpBB3.

Freelance is exactly correct, and I think this is also the reason AJAX won't see much, if any implementation in phpBB3. AND (IMO only), it is overused in other unnamed forum software.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

They won't build it in because there are hosting companies out there that don't support mod_rewrite.
Though for the rest of us, the SEO mod has been created for phpBB3 already :)

[edit]Argh! Highway beats me to the post everytime ;) I guess I need to type quicker[/edit]
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

angelside

Post by angelside »

I wait "soft delete" but not :(

phpBB3 Portal | simple portal for phpBB3 Olympus
phpBB3 Project | phpBB3 mods, add-ons, themes, graphics
phpBB Türkiye | Turkish phpBB community