phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
jumborex

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by jumborex »

I've seen some comments in this topic, and apparently nobody had troubles passing from B4 to B5: this is not what I have in this moment.

One problem has been already described by me in the bug reports, but apparently it is not general trouble: in the language pack, when I manage a file different from common.php, after the FTP, I see the common.php treated as Variables not found: I must remove it from the transit memory, or how it is called...

Second problem is trying to change the logo: in the ACP Styles, when I change the logo image the system says to me that no change has been done (No image), but the change has been made instead.

These are not big troubles, but are them not ok for me only?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
(Thomas Alva Edison)

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Don't know if I've missed this somewhere or not, but is it the norm with version 3 to load links in the same window as the forums? I keep catching myself closing the window after visiting a link which shuts down the browser. Now I'm having other people ask me about it to. Is there some way to configure this version to act like version 2 and open links in a new window?
Plano, Texas

b3rx

Post by b3rx »

tffnguy wrote: Don't know if I've missed this somewhere or not, but is it the norm with version 3 to load links in the same window as the forums? I keep catching myself closing the window after visiting a link which shuts down the browser. Now I'm having other people ask me about it to. Is there some way to configure this version to act like version 2 and open links in a new window?

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=509312
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

:? I was afraid of that. :( I guess everyone is going to have to get used to it like it or not.

Now another question. When files are uploaded through the messages uploader then when the messages is deleted or forums pruned do the picture files also get removed from the server or do they just stay there?

Since it isn't safe to prune forums because of members loosing post count/rank and the database will contain about twice as much data as is needed once the old forums are deleted then this could get to be a disk space monster in a hurry. (especially if uploaded pictures don't get removed from the server when the messages are).

Lets say somone only has 300 megs on a server and the forum database before upgrading is 100 megs. Converting the old forums puts that at about 200 megs. The total space for uploaded files is set at 100 megs then that pretty well does that site in as far as disk space goes.
Plano, Texas

b3rx

Post by b3rx »

well i've just tested it. when deleting a post that has an attachment on it. the attachment will also be deleted. :D
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

Evilmachine

Post by Evilmachine »

Nearly 100 bugs.

Seems the Beta 5 before the RC1 was a really good choice.

pappfer

Post by pappfer »

I tried the conversion and it works great! ;)
I only have one problem. If I try to create a new category and / or forums, subforums it just doesn't show up in the forum's index. It shows up well in the admin panel but not in the forum.

Why is that?

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Permissions don't automatically get created for a forum.
So you have to set permissions for that forum so you can see it.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

pappfer wrote: I tried the conversion and it works great! ;)
I only have one problem. If I try to create a new category and / or forums, subforums it just doesn't show up in the forum's index. It shows up well in the admin panel but not in the forum.

Why is that?
Check the box "Display in subForums listing", and set the permissions.
By default the forum will be invisible unless you give it permissions to be viewable.

pappfer

Post by pappfer »

Thank you guys, works perfect! ;)