The speed increase is astounding

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Amailer

Re: The speed increase is astounding

Post by Amailer »

I'm sorry if it has been answered already - but WOW what the heck changes did you guys do to improve the speeds so DAMN much? PLEASE TELL >> I wanna mod my phpBB2 :P

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

heh, there will be no mod for phpBB2 to make it this fast :lol:

just upgrade.

Amailer

Post by Amailer »

I could try and make one >> What exactally was the change?

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

Amailer wrote: I could try and make one >> What exactally was the change?

Uhh, a total rewrite? phpBB 2.0 and phpBB 3 do not share any code *. It would be difficult to mod 2.0 to be as fast as 3.0 without bordering on a total rewrite of 2.0, which would defeat the point :)

NeoThermic

* Ok, they do, but I'm referring to parts where code was not back/forward ported between the two.
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Amailer

Post by Amailer »

Oh not a total rewrite - but the noticable speeds showed up in Beta 5 only - so unless you guys did some major changes in the code (then forget it) or added some crazy sql cacheting or something - what was it? XD

Only reason I dont feel like switching over is because - well I spent so much time on modding phpBB2, it all feels like a waste :(

code reader

Post by code reader »

Cap'n Refsmmat wrote: SQL caching will almost certainly be a huge win when someone hooks it up to memcached or a PHP accelerator's shared memory cache (most offer one).

"almost certainly" is not a very good benchmark.
i doubt your statement is based on any real data, but in the case i am wrong, i would like very much to hear from you, or anyone else who did some actual measurements with sql caching on/off, and can report the results.

personally, if i had to wager, i would bet that in most cases turning off sql caching will improve performance.
the problem is that there is no simple way to turn sql cache off and on, so if one wants to experiment, one has to cripple the code that handles the sql caching. not many will do that, with the result that no serious experimentation is likely to happen.
not a huge deal, but a pity nonetheless.

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

code reader wrote: "almost certainly" is not a very good benchmark.
i doubt your statement is based on any real data, but in the case i am wrong, i would like very much to hear from you, or anyone else who did some actual measurements with sql caching on/off, and can report the results.

personally, if i had to wager, i would bet that in most cases turning off sql caching will improve performance.
the problem is that there is no simple way to turn sql cache off and on, so if one wants to experiment, one has to cripple the code that handles the sql caching. not many will do that, with the result that no serious experimentation is likely to happen.
not a huge deal, but a pity nonetheless.

The reason you believe turning it off will improve performance is because it is currently file-based, meaning that there's a file access overhead. The speed increase there depends on the disk speed of the server.

However, the acm is modular, so if you were to add in a memcached backend (memcached is memory-based and can be distributed over multiple servers), you'd almost certainly get a performance win. I have not written such a backend yet, but I use memcached in a vBulletin install, and it certainly helps.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

We already have a memcached version in the works and of course it is faster due to the file i/o not being accessed. Turning off sql caching may increase the performance for some if special conditions are met, but overall it should increase the performance if turned on, especially for mid-sized to large boards. For tiny boards the difference is not noticeable anyway.

What we found out is that, compared to 2.0.x, the cpu load decreased and the file i/o increased (of course) noticeably. But this was to be expected.

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

Amailer wrote: but the noticable speeds showed up in Beta 5 only

Actually people have been noticing the speed difference since before beta even came out.... so I don't believe this is correct.

code reader

Post by code reader »

Acyd Burn wrote: ....
Turning off sql caching may increase the performance for some if special conditions are met, but overall it should increase the performance if turned on, especially for mid-sized to large boards.
you may be right here, but then again, you may also be wrong.
the only reliable way to find out is to turn sql caching on and off and compare performance.
there are many variables, besides the size of the board. specifically, what backend db system is used? how much memory is available on the server? etc. etc.
in time, some "street wisdom" may develop. maybe sql caching boosts performance with mssql, but with mysql 5.x with query-caching turned on it is actually a hindrance?
without a simple and easy way to turn sql caching off and on, these questions will remain in the religious realm, as in "i believe sql caching boosts performance" and "i believe sql caching does nothing for performance".

of course, if anyone had actually done any measurements, i will be grateful to hear about it.