phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
dackofdoom

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by dackofdoom »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:
DragonlordP wrote: Question: the devs had said that they most probably wouldn't provide an upgrade path before RC1, but now there is an upgrade path from beta4 to beta5, so does this mean that another one will follow from beta5 to RC1?

Likely, but devs can still change their mind and, what's worse, change database schemas. And you will lose everything and cannot complain about it.
Is it worth the risk?

I agree with the Italian - just be patient... the bug count has dropped dramatically, and that includes the introduction of the upgrade script in the CVS, so I think RC1 won't be too far away- anyways there are not really any skins or mods available either... Id just wait

dhn

Post by dhn »

dackofdoom wrote: But I think if theres a beta4-5 script, then theres probably going to be a 5-RC1

Yes. It is actually quite easy to do the update packages and we want to get all the testing we need.

dackofdoom

Post by dackofdoom »

I'm just curious if the CVS has already provided a lot of the bug fixing for the upgrade script, will there be a lot of bugs left to fix? And if not, will we perhaps be able to expect a sooner release of RC1 than the time period of releases between beta 4 and beta 5

dhn

Post by dhn »

dackofdoom wrote: I'm just curious if the CVS has already provided a lot of the bug fixing for the upgrade script, will there be a lot of bugs left to fix? And if not, will we perhaps be able to expect a sooner release of RC1 than the time period of releases between beta 4 and beta 5

That all depends on how good you are at finding and reporting bugs. ;)

dackofdoom

Post by dackofdoom »

dhn wrote:
dackofdoom wrote: I'm just curious if the CVS has already provided a lot of the bug fixing for the upgrade script, will there be a lot of bugs left to fix? And if not, will we perhaps be able to expect a sooner release of RC1 than the time period of releases between beta 4 and beta 5

That all depends on how good you are at finding and reporting bugs. ;)

*runs away to find bugs*

:D Woohoo! Beta5 successfully uploaded and currently converting my phpBB2 forum :)

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

im stumped with this:

The convertor was not able to find tables with the specified prefix. Please make sure you have the old within the same database as your phpBB 3.0.x installation. The default table prefix for phpBB 2.0.x is phpbb_

i have been into the database to check, and the prefix is the default - am confused

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

been poking around with B5 for an hour or so (since i found out the link went live, before the "release") and I'm quite happy with the progress.

only "issue" i have is that spoiler tags aren't taken into consideration when searching, but that's a custom BBCode so eh, whatever :P

anyhow, congrats on a good product fellas.

aff2k4

Post by aff2k4 »

I am not sure whether this is a mistake or just forgot but database_update.php was not included in the package or is it just me?

zenpig

Post by zenpig »

aff2k4 wrote: I am not sure whether this is a mistake or just forgot but database_update.php was not included in the package or is it just me?

It's in the changed files version which I am going to be using intitially to just see how the update process in coming along(will probably do another full conversion from 2.0.x to beta5 later as I did with beta 4)but do not see it in the full version.

aff2k4

Post by aff2k4 »

I downloaded the changed files version and did the database update. All is good! Great job to the dev team! :P
Thanks zenpig for your reply.