Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
The Grinch

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by The Grinch »

muse-ic wrote: fantastic! but is anyone able to clarify:

it says we shouldnt do the beta in a live environment, but we are able to test the conversion from 2.x to 3.x ...so if i convert my live 2.x forum, are the users still able to us the 2.x version after the conversion? Or else there is no way of testing the conversion without going live without starting a new 2.x board...which takes time to build up etc...

Do what I'm doing. Get a local server going at your home, download a database backup and deploy it at home. Then you can play all you want. I've been doing this on a seperate Linux box I have here at home, but I just downloaded XAMPP (it's an open source windows web server package) which has been recommended by a lot of people. I'm about to install it and give it a go. If all works, I can ditch Linux and do everything from one PC for a change. :D

Try this and hopefully you will thank me later. ;)

I'm not sure if posting the link is permitted or not, but you can find XAMPP on Sourceforge here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

karlsemple wrote: you do not get two copies of the same database, you get two set of tables in the same database, the original phpBB2 ones and the converted phpBB3 ones :) but they share the same database.

Yeah I expressed myself badly.
You get two copies of the stored info you need to run the forum.
Same db, different tables, duplication of contents.
What matters is that you get two totally indipendent forums since the moment the conversion is done... :)

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

edit: how did my post end up here? I posted in another topic... oh well
sounds like Acyd Burn is hopeful it will be RC1 Next, so this topic continues :)
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Nicholas the Italian

Just a (in-topic) sidenote.
Before you guys start your ballet about "will it be beta6 or rc1", Acyd Burn officially stated that next stage will be Release Candidate. ;)

mav3

Post by mav3 »

i hope they dont come up with 5 rc versions b4 going gold ;)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Well it all depends, but the good news is that if/when we reach RC, it will be much more stable than Beta... Beta, after all is a "Testing Phase", whereas RC is a "Release Candidate"

Nicholas the Italian

Highway of Life wrote: Well it all depends, but the good news is that if/when we reach RC, it will be much more stable than Beta... Beta, after all is a "Testing Phase", whereas RC is a "Release Candidate"

Highway, did you send your Squads of Death to get bugs out of their holes? I want to see at least 100 bugs in the bugtracker by tomorrow evening... ;)

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: Well it all depends, but the good news is that if/when we reach RC, it will be much more stable than Beta... Beta, after all is a "Testing Phase", whereas RC is a "Release Candidate"

Highway, did you send your Squads of Death to get bugs out of their holes? I want to see at least 100 bugs in the bugtracker by tomorrow evening... ;)

Before even updated already reported one with the updater :mrgreen:

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: Just a (in-topic) sidenote.
Before you guys start your ballet about "will it be beta6 or rc1", Acyd Burn officially stated that next stage will be Release Candidate. ;)
He stated that they 'anticipate' it will be. I hope so.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:
Squads of Death? :lol:
We'll see... but my tomorrow evening comes later than yours. :P