New permissions screen discussion..

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
eeMarko

Re: New permissions screen discussion..

Post by eeMarko »

What is difference between "no" and "never"?
What is the difference between "can post" and "can reply"?
:?

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

A "No" permission can be overridden by a "Yes" from another group/user permissions set. A Never overrides a Yes.

ie.
No + Yes => Yes
Never + Yes => No

Can post means that they can post topics. Can reply means that they can reply to topics.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Today's commit... Meik just changed it from "can post" to "can start topics"

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

Oke.. i hope this insn't to far off topic.. but with the current permissions system it isn't possible to put new topics on the moderator queu.. so that users can post an new topic.. but that only the topic start has to be approved?? isn't it?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

_Kilian_ wrote: Oke.. i hope this insn't to far off topic.. but with the current permissions system it isn't possible to put new topics on the moderator queu.. so that users can post an new topic.. but that only the topic start has to be approved?? isn't it?

If they are on the mod queue in that forum all posts(this includes topics) made by a user must be approved first.

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

Oke.. thank you ;) just wanted to check this.. think i'll write a mod for it when i'm going to convert my phpbb2 board

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

_Kilian_ wrote: Oke.. thank you ;) just wanted to check this.. think i'll write a mod for it when i'm going to convert my phpbb2 board

Maybe if you write the instructions for it now and give it to Acyd he might think of adding it in to the default install. :P

kissels

Post by kissels »

Hi all... I think this is along the same vein....

What I'm looking for is a way to make a member a moderator of just one "topic," not the entire forum in which that topic exists. I want to create a category where a user can open his/her own topic to use as a "blogspot." They would then be able to start their own blog (topic), then email me with their username and topic title and, through the acp, I would be able to set their user permission to moderator, but just for that topic (so s/he could lock out other posters and/or delete/edit their readers' replies, comments, etc...). As of right now (and my phpbb is pretty new, so their may already be a MOD for this of which I am not aware), the only way to make a user a moderator via the acp is to do so for one or more forums. Obviously, the problem here would be that s/he would then be able to go into other users blog topics and moderate them, and nobody wants that. ;) I suppose another way to make it work would be to make each user's "blogspot" a new forum, but that would require a good deal more work on my part creating new forums/categories as needed, on the fly, and who's got time for that, right?

Any ideas, direction, comments, etc... would be appreciated. Laughter, however, can be kept to a minimum :P

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

kissels wrote: Hi all... I think this is along the same vein....

What I'm looking for is a way to make a member a moderator of just one "topic," not the entire forum in which that topic exists. I want to create a category where a user can open his/her own topic to use as a "blogspot." They would then be able to start their own blog (topic), then email me with their username and topic title and, through the acp, I would be able to set their user permission to moderator, but just for that topic (so s/he could lock out other posters and/or delete/edit their readers' replies, comments, etc...). As of right now (and my phpbb is pretty new, so their may already be a MOD for this of which I am not aware), the only way to make a user a moderator via the acp is to do so for one or more forums. Obviously, the problem here would be that s/he would then be able to go into other users blog topics and moderate them, and nobody wants that. ;) I suppose another way to make it work would be to make each user's "blogspot" a new forum, but that would require a good deal more work on my part creating new forums/categories as needed, on the fly, and who's got time for that, right?

Any ideas, direction, comments, etc... would be appreciated. Laughter, however, can be kept to a minimum :P

LOL!!! sounds like a really good idea... looking over everything, I'm pretty sure it can't be done by default and would need to be a mod.
Highway and BondGamer have created a mod where only the topic author can post in the thread... that may be more along the lines of what you are looking for.

P.S. Sorry, couldn't resist the laughter part ;)
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

kissels

Post by kissels »

Handyman wrote: Sorry, couldn't resist the laughter part ;)

Then I guess shouldn't tell you about how I banned myself the other day. 8O Now you can laugh.

Actually it was some glitch with the CrackerTracker MOD; banned everyone and anyone who tried to access the board. I learned about toolkit.php a little too late and ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the whole darn thing. Good fun.