phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Alegis

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Alegis »

naderman wrote: That's why you should report bugs on http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/ please!

A'ight, done. I'll be sure to report other problems I track down.

APTX

Post by APTX »

macfrag wrote: With the conversion script i noticed that the old administrators were still marked as "administrators" but did not have full control. The phpbb3 administrator (registered during the phpbb3 installation) had some extra options, must noticeable under ACP->System.

The user you install the board with has full admin privileges mostly because it's a founder user and these get them automatically.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

After conversion the first admin is having the founder status, having all rights. It is intended and wanted that the other admins (if they exist) have the standard admin role.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

So what happens if the admin converting to Olympus isn't the founder and 1st admin? What's the difference ?
Sorry if sounds numb but i've not got a successful convert to refer to so cant see the difference.

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

chrisf wrote: So what happens if the admin converting to Olympus isn't the founder and 1st admin? What's the difference ?
Sorry if sounds numb but i've not got a successful convert to refer to so cant see the difference.

Well .. you can add and remove founders.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

drewtscott wrote:
chrisf wrote: So what happens if the admin converting to Olympus isn't the founder and 1st admin? What's the difference ?

Well .. you can add and remove founders.

But, if your not a founder, you'll have to do it via the database, which some people will find difficult.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

macfrag

Post by macfrag »

Acyd Burn wrote: After conversion the first admin is having the founder status, having all rights. It is intended and wanted that the other admins (if they exist) have the standard admin role.

I think my point was lost somewhere in the discussion :)
I understand the rational of setting only the first admin as a founder and not the rest. I think that this will work just fine in all cases but one: In case that during the installation of phpbb3 you select a username for the founder account and this username already exist in the old board (as a normal user), then after the conversion this username will not be a founder. Now, if the person who is converting the forum is not the first admin in the old board, then he will have a problem!

Till

Post by Till »

I get this 500 error if I try to upgrade.
UPDATE STEP: Conversion in progress

[Thu Jan 25 00:02:25 2007] [error] [client 86.103.208.17] Premature end of script headers: /phpBB2/install/index.php

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

macfrag wrote:
Acyd Burn wrote: After conversion the first admin is having the founder status, having all rights. It is intended and wanted that the other admins (if they exist) have the standard admin role.

I think my point was lost somewhere in the discussion :)
I understand the rational of setting only the first admin as a founder and not the rest. I think that this will work just fine in all cases but one: In case that during the installation of phpbb3 you select a username for the founder account and this username already exist in the old board (as a normal user), then after the conversion this username will not be a founder. Now, if the person who is converting the forum is not the first admin in the old board, then he will have a problem!

This can not happen, because the users table will be purged and only the old data being used. ;)

fatihalp

Post by fatihalp »

I have converted successfully, but there are simple problems

After installition

Code: Select all

Fatal installation error

Fatal installation error

install_convert.php [ 534 ]

No convertor specified
Only in desc. there is special character problem. Like this
Düþünce Tartýþma Platformu

Others are normal, you can see this (Turkish is tested)
And some statistics reseted
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 1 hidden and 0 guests
Most users ever online was 1 on 00:06 24-January-2007

Thanks for convertor too much ;)