phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
drewtscott

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by drewtscott »

Err ... sorry? It's not my forum, so it's hardly spam. It's a test enviroment that I setup to test out the converter, and I thought that I would use my evidence to vouch for the quality of the convertor - just as other have.

dackofdoom

Post by dackofdoom »

drewtscott wrote: Err ... sorry? It's not my forum, so it's hardly spam. It's a test enviroment that I setup to test out the converter, and I thought that I would use my evidence to vouch for the quality of the convertor - just as other have.

Don't worry, its just that there have been a lot of spammers on this forum that take advantage of its popularity to get some recognition and quick clicks. Just be safe and put your site in your signature. Although if it's not your site, well then I dunno... Just a misunderstanding

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

drewtscott wrote: Err ... sorry? It's not my forum, so it's hardly spam. It's a test enviroment that I setup to test out the converter, and I thought that I would use my evidence to vouch for the quality of the convertor - just as other have.

Screenshots with URL and other information censored do just as well, if not better.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

SHS` wrote:

Screenshots with URL and other information censored do just as well, if not better.

Well, he was asking if the original forum would still function correctly, so I figured that a link where he could actually see that is was functioning correctly would be more appropriate.

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

drewtscott wrote: Well, he was asking if the original forum would still function correctly, so I figured that a link where he could actually see that is was functioning correctly would be more appropriate.

Considering the UCF shouldn't touch (as in alter) the phpBB2 files/DB at all... it is a no-brainer that it'll still work. Don't take a mile when given an inch.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Wernight

Post by Wernight »

Still can not convert on XAMPP (last verison) with last version phpBB3 CVS and with different $batch_size, $num_wait_rows and $mysql_convert values.
- 503 messages
- 2829 members

The error is always: MySQL server has gone away [2006]
Attachments
scr2.png
MySQL server has gone away [2006]
(17.69 KiB) Downloaded 1230 times
scr.png
MySQL server has gone away [2006]
(26.14 KiB) Downloaded 1230 times

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Cool, I have just converted successfully :) All runs nice and smooth, a lot simpler than I thought :)

oldlock

Post by oldlock »

Just tried it on the server (see my previous post) and all worked perfectly.

If I can make this work then it's got to be foolproof ! :mrgreen:

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

I had never seen the mysql server has gone away error until you posted that screenshot... but MySQL has an entire page devoted to that error and it's causes.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html
Hopefully that will help in troubleshooting.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

oldlock wrote: I am assuming that the converter will work on a snapshot of the database as it was at the moment of conversion & that any changes made to the original database after the conversion will have no effect ...

Question: given that the conversion takes minutes to hours, is the original board avaiable in the meantime? In this case, isn't there the risk of inconsistencies in the new DB?
Also, new data/posts/etc added/modified/removed during/after conversion are not included in the new DB.
In other words: is there (or will there be) an option to put the old board unavaiable when starting convertion, or will this have to be done manually?