Is the current signature restrictions enough?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Nicholas the Italian

Re: Is the current signature restrictions enough?

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

BondGamer wrote: Currently, there is no restriction to the number of images a user can put in a signature or how big those combined images can be. The maximum image width/height does not really make sense unless you can restrict the total number of images. Also, why can you restrict the number of smilies but not the number of images? I think there should be a few more options for signature restriction.

Ehm... :roll: viewtopic.php?p=166147#p166147 (Date: November 28, 2006), see point 9, under suggestions:
I see you can limit the no. of lines and images sizes for signatures, but can you limit the no. of images?;

I was answered that yes, it could be done, by a guy we all know very well ;)
But I was not answered how.

Now, I understand that was a long and maybe (for many) boring post, but I was hoping that devs had at least given a look at it. If so, I guess there is a reason if that has not been implemented yet (though I can't figure out which).

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

I think this should still be logged. If someone decides that they want to restrict the dimensions of the images in a signature, it's most likely that they do not want users to post more than 1 image. I think a limit should be added where if the x,y restrictions have been set, then only 1 image can be included in the signature. That should be a fairly simple trade-off to keep most people happy for this release.

just my 2 cents

Nicholas the Italian

The Grinch wrote: I think this should still be logged. If someone decides that they want to restrict the dimensions of the images in a signature, it's most likely that they do not want users to post more than 1 image. I think a limit should be added where if the x,y restrictions have been set, then only 1 image can be included in the signature. That should be a fairly simple trade-off to keep most people happy for this release.

just my 2 cents

Good for me.
If the admin sets a size limit, but still you as user can insert 150 images (in both signature or post), I consider this as a bug, since it is totally nonsensical. So the question is, has someone actually tried this?

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

As far as I can tell, you can post as many pictures as you want as long as the bbcode/image links fit within the set character limit for signatures.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: Good for me.
If the admin sets a size limit, but still you as user can insert 150 images (in both signature or post), I consider this as a bug, since it is totally nonsensical. So the question is, has someone actually tried this?

It's not a bug... it would be a feature request.
If you don't want to make the mod that limits it... you could always request it... not here though.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

code reader

Post by code reader »

if such a feature will be implemented (limit # of images), imo, it should be done in a more generic way.
after all, it is not just images: the same issue might pertains to flash, possibly to quotes, possibly to urls, possibly to some custom bbcode (eg., youtube bbcode) etc.

IF this problem is to be solved, (or in other words, if this feature is to be implemented), imo, each bbcode should contain 3 more fields:

limit per message
limit per signature
limit per PM.

negative value will mean unlimited and 0 means 0 ("no flash in signatures").
if/when this feature is implemented, i'd like to float again an old suggestion: move most of the current bbcodes to custom bbcodes, and eliminate them from the code.

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

I don't call it a feature request, I call it a missed requirement. The purpose of limiting the image size is to prevent users from creating giant and annoying signatures. By allowing unlimited images, it totally defeats the purpose of what was trying to be accomplished.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

code reader wrote: if such a feature will be implemented (limit # of images), imo, it should be done in a more generic way.
after all, it is not just images: the same issue might pertains to flash, possibly to quotes, possibly to urls, possibly to some custom bbcode (eg., youtube bbcode) etc.

IF this problem is to be solved, (or in other words, if this feature is to be implemented), imo, each bbcode should contain 3 more fields:

limit per message
limit per signature
limit per PM.

negative value will mean unlimited and 0 means 0 ("no flash in signatures").
if/when this feature is implemented, i'd like to float again an old suggestion: move most of the current bbcodes to custom bbcodes, and eliminate them from the code.

In regards to this... you have a point there.
I'll ask Highway to add it to the features for his bbcode permissions mod... it's in his mod queue.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Nicholas the Italian

The Grinch wrote: I don't call it a feature request, I call it a missed requirement. The purpose of limiting the image size is to prevent users from creating giant and annoying signatures. By allowing unlimited images, it totally defeats the purpose of what was trying to be accomplished.

I totally agree. In fact I reported this as a bug. ;)
Now, we're sure they know. We'll see what they do.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

I would consider this a missed option, not a feature request. Restricting signatures is important for some forums. You don't want moderators wasting their time on signatures which break size restrictions. I personally think there should be 2 additions:

1) Limit the total number of images
2) Total the width and height of all images a user adds and make sure they don't violate the maximum. So if a user adds a 25x25 image and a 100x300 image, it counts as 125x325 against the total allowed image size.