phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Klors

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Klors »

_Kilian_ wrote: I've reported this as a bug.. that some axplanation about this fact would be usefull, but if you look at the INSTALL.htm file it explains how to convert a board.

Yeah, I guess I'm just used to playing till I make it work by now. :)

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

I ran a conversion of a 690,000-post database last night in a VMWare instance, and it took about 2.5 hours. I'm hoping that it was just the fact that it was in VMWare that was taking that long.

I have a question about the search index rebuild, though. I ended up having to use just the MySQL rather than mysqli settings to get it to work (I think this may have been fixed in a later CVS entry). It built the fulltext index, but it wouldn't actually find anything. Is that due to the database setting? Or is there something else that's off?
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Martin Blank wrote: I ran a conversion of a 690,000-post database last night in a VMWare instance, and it took about 2.5 hours. I'm hoping that it was just the fact that it was in VMWare that was taking that long.

I have a question about the search index rebuild, though. I ended up having to use just the MySQL rather than mysqli settings to get it to work (I think this may have been fixed in a later CVS entry). It built the fulltext index, but it wouldn't actually find anything. Is that due to the database setting? Or is there something else that's off?

From my understanding, with MySQL fulltext you don't need to build an index(go try using the search and see if it works).

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

I did that, and you have to build the index before it can be used. Search worked neither before nor after. I started on a regular search index, but the system crashed during the index (possible bad drive, nothing to do with phpBB).
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

I just ran the 7th Jan CVS installation/convertion and all seem to go well. Untill I took a loot at the group premissions. I seems like the convertion script misses a bit much at this. None of my group-forum premissions were converted (and the moderator groups for all forums is gone, already reported bug). I also came across a strange error. I can set a premission "profile" in 'User and Groups' -> 'Groups Premission' but when i go to 'Premissions' -> 'Groups' forum premission' i get a "Role: No role available". Perhaps this is not a bug but me not entierly understanding the premissions system.

Anyone know what im talking about?

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

Acyd Burn wrote: It is not possible because we simply do not know how much needs to be processed in advance. ;) I for one did a test conversion which took 24+ hours. ;)

Well maybe there could be some type of warning message to inform the user that it could take a long time depending on the amount of topics/posts in the database?

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

I think you could know this in advance. For certain thing you know that it could take a while on big board e.g. posts. You can simply see how many posts their are on the old board. You should in theory add an even amount of posts to the new board. This way your could give an estimation about how many posts you've put in the new board. I'm going to try to build a little demo tonight

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

_Kilian_ wrote: I think you could know this in advance. For certain thing you know that it could take a while on big board e.g. posts. You can simply see how many posts their are on the old board. You should in theory add an even amount of posts to the new board. This way your could give an estimation about how many posts you've put in the new board. I'm going to try to build a little demo tonight

How do you mesure the ammount of data in the post and take that into the progress-calculation?

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

simply don't.. you only show the amount of posts inserted and update it say every 5 seconds.. you can see the progress on that way..

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Martin Blank wrote: I did that, and you have to build the index before it can be used. Search worked neither before nor after. I started on a regular search index, but the system crashed during the index (possible bad drive, nothing to do with phpBB).

After upgrading to Beta 4, I deleted the native index and changed to mysql backend (I did not make an index on this setting)
and I tested the search and everything was working perfectly.

I think only an index is needed with the native search backend.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply