phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Uchiha Nick

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Uchiha Nick »

just so in case no one said anything;

I tried the convertor from Jan 7th, and... Props to the team :) EVERYTHING checks out :D seriously, it does... I'm amazed to what they have done in a small day, and just to say; it looks awesome! and I'm sure my users find it that as well :) ( some who visited a long time ago, are even back posting ;o :p )

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Uchiha Nick wrote: I'm amazed to what they have done in a small day, and just to say; it looks awesome!

I am pretty sure they have had the script for quite a while...it just has been hidden like the new style. :P

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

I just did a test conversion on my forum. It went flawlessly except I forgot the users table is named different from the rest. Now I have a board filled with posts but no users. I will try again tomorrow after renaming the tables all the same.

One thing I didn't like was how it was cycling through converting all the posts and there was no information telling me what it was doing. It took about 5 minutes to do 116,000 posts and I wouldn't have known if the script was broken or had timed out. There should be some type of list like:

Covert Forum Data: Done
Convert Post Data: In Progress
Convert Private Message Data:

And the page updates as it happens.

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

It would even be better if they show some kind of progressbar... I have to convert more then 108k message and the conversion took more then 20 minute. Only on step is taking a lot of time, the inserting of the posts. I think you know in advance how many inserts you have to do. I know many people think that AJAX is some kind af a hype, but here it could be used to show a progress bar. I think it would be very usefull...

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

It is not possible because we simply do not know how much needs to be processed in advance. ;) I for one did a test conversion which took 24+ hours. ;)

And the information is only written after it had been processed (here, a small change might be good to actually update the status more often - but again, we are using the template engine which displays the output after everything is done).

lord idiot

Post by lord idiot »

I used the converter on my 770.000 posts forum (just to test it :)), And it worked like a charm. Ran for more than an hour though..

Ayreon

Post by Ayreon »

Is it possible to parse custom bbcodes during update?

For example I have Moderator Tags mod installed. The updater doesn't parse the [mod][/mod] tag, so it looks ugly =). I must resave all posts with this tag after update and adding this bbcode...

cellpack

Post by cellpack »

hi

has the upgrade script been removed when i log in all there is is convert with no installed convertors?

Thanks

Klors

Post by Klors »

cellpack wrote: hi

has the upgrade script been removed when i log in all there is is convert with no installed convertors?

Thanks

I don't know if it's intended behaviour but I needed to install a default phpbb3 and then go back to the install start page before it would let me use the converter.

I also copied the language file folder to the name the converter was looking for and updated the conversion script on line 193 to replace a variable that wasn't being set anywhere with it's (hopefully) intended value. After that it worked, albeit with a lot of php notices. It didn't copy a few things across, such as user ranks and titles, but I'll wait for beta 5 to report anything.

Still, didn't expect much else from a CVS version :)

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

Klors wrote: I don't know if it's intended behaviour but I needed to install a default phpbb3 and then go back to the install start page before it would let me use the converter.

I've reported this as a bug.. that some axplanation about this fact would be usefull, but if you look at the INSTALL.htm file it explains how to convert a board.

The language file error should be fixed in the current CVS