How Many Of Your Users Care?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
dackofdoom

How Many Of Your Users Care?

Post by dackofdoom »

I'm just curious how many of you with relatively big forums notice that users are excited, or even know about, phpBB3

I have two forums, each with over 1000 users (which isnt that big, but still...) and i dont think one of them has made a post saying: "Are you gonna upgrade to phpBB3!?!?"

I think I'm mostly upgrading because I love doing computer projects with forums, and I also love having a chance to mess some stuff up :)

What about you guys? Do you think your users care if you upgrade? If so, what do you think they're looking forward to most? I already know that my users will like the new subforum feature, because they have complained about that for ages...

Nenad

Re: How Many Of Your Users Care?

Post by Nenad »

Quite a few of the users on our forums have expressed a wish to upgrade to a "better" forum script, they mainly ask for IPB because they have experience with it on other sites. I have made it clear that we will upgrade to phpBB3 as soon as it comes out. This is not just because of the price, I am very impressed with how phpBB3 has developed, IPB and VB are ridiculously bloated with unnecessary features, and full UTF8 implementation has cemented that choice.

I guess it depends on the forum, if there are interesting discussions you wish to observe more closely, i.e. using a more advanced UCP like phpBB3 has, then the users will be unhappy with phpBB2's outdated (lack of) features.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Mine have been waiting almost since they were formed nearly four years ago. It's actually become something of a running joke.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

boardhopper

Post by boardhopper »

Same here. Years ago my members were excited about it and now, well, they just laugh about it. They will not believe it till they see it. :lol:

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

Here as well... I started the forum on an illegal copy of vb, then we went to phpbb and since then (more than 3 years ago) I've been telling them that "phpbb 3.0 will be out soon". It's been the joke of the forum for over a year now.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

i have a very small community (only about 120 users); most of whom are not computer-savvy; though about 7 of them have asked - most of those 7 are my beta testers! lol

Grok

Post by Grok »

My members are opposed to the change. They find 3.0 too complicated, especially the UCP. They seem to be happy with what they are comfortable with. I am sure they will like it after they get the chance to use it for a while.

orudge

Post by orudge »

Martin Blank wrote: Mine have been waiting almost since they were formed nearly four years ago. It's actually become something of a running joke.

Heh, same here on my fairly large forums... whenever someone asks if x feature can be implemented, the response is usually "wait for phpBB 3.0" - someone will usually always comment on it being a wait forever or something. "phpBB 3.0!" on its own has become a line that kind of signifies that. And every year in my "Christmas speech" I've predicted that the next year would be the year of phpBB 3.0... maybe this year I'll actually be right. :mrgreen:
Owen Rudge
http://www.owenrudge.net/" target="_blank

CardsFanInChiTown

Post by CardsFanInChiTown »

I haven't told my users and they haven't asked. I'll most likely notify them the day gold is released that we'll be upgrading to 3.0 in 2 weeks. I want to upgrade for the extra mod features and performance enhancements. I probably won't use all the 3.0 features in order to keep it simple for my users.
Last edited by CardsFanInChiTown on Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dackofdoom

Post by dackofdoom »

DragonlordP wrote: Here as well... I started the forum on an illegal copy of vb, then we went to phpbb and since then (more than 3 years ago) I've been telling them that "phpbb 3.0 will be out soon". It's been the joke of the forum for over a year now.

Hmmm i had a similar experience.. Started with a questionable copy of Invision and then got a certain unhappy message from Invision and then moved to phpBB and for the most part my users like phpBB, but miss some of the features with invision such as subforums and the default skin