Intended Functionality of Password Protected Forum?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Ectoman

Intended Functionality of Password Protected Forum?

Post by Ectoman »

I am going to assume this is intended functionality. Password protected forums do not have their posts indexed, even if they have the option "Index Posts" selected in the ACP. Should there be a way to get them to show up? Is there a way we can get a custom note put in to explain when they get to a password protected forum? (something in ACP that we can set like "This is our private forum, it is for.. blah blah.")

Discuss.

karlsemple

Re: Intended Functionality of Password Protected Forum?

Post by karlsemple »

Ectoman wrote: I am going to assume this is intended functionality. Password protected forums do not have their posts indexed, even if they have the option "Index Posts" selected in the ACP. Should there be a way to get them to show up? Is there a way we can get a custom note put in to explain when they get to a password protected forum? (something in ACP that we can set like "This is our private forum, it is for.. blah blah.")

Discuss.

I suppose it makes sense for passworded forums to be indexed, you would assume it is passworded as it is private, there would be no point applying a password to it if you then have all the contents cached and available with no password on google.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I guess this was about phpBB's own search indexing. Posts of private forums are indexed. In order to find them with the search you will first have to go into the forum and enter the password once. Otherwise the search can't know that you are allowed to view the contents.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

naderman wrote: I guess this was about phpBB's own search indexing. Posts of private forums are indexed. In order to find them with the search you will first have to go into the forum and enter the password once. Otherwise the search can't know that you are allowed to view the contents.

ooops, but even so the same still applies..... you can only search posts which you have permissions to view.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

naderman wrote: I guess this was about phpBB's own search indexing. Posts of private forums are indexed. In order to find them with the search you will first have to go into the forum and enter the password once. Otherwise the search can't know that you are allowed to view the contents.

I see this now. I was surprised to see the results after I had entered the password in.

Thanks!

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Nice Job on this Nader... really caught me by surprise... :D *thumbsup*

titan485

Post by titan485 »

I realize this is fairly old, but could I comment?:

I don't know how feasible or if it would be as easy as I'm going to say, but on the search page, when you select the forums, and you click on one that needs a password, could you possibly have some sort of thing that prompts you to enter a password to search that forum, or "skip this forum" if there is more than one and the others are non-password protected, or you got he right password for others?

forum 1
[===] <-- password box
f2
[===]

:s ?

FUК0V

Post by FUК0V »

karlsemple wrote:

ooops, but even so the same still applies..... you can only search posts which you have permissions to view.

So what's the problem?

Isn't it possible for example to add an option "Search Protected Forums" to the search engine and this option to be available only to authorized users?

So that everybody will be able to search only the forums he is authorised to.