Tell me, are these bugs or known issues?...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Virtuality

Re: Tell me, are these bugs or known issues?...

Post by Virtuality »

This could need some cross browser testing. Confirmed working in IE6, FF, Opera.

Please report feedback to:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25884

This works fine on IE7 as well. :)
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

The selector is Supposed to center between font tags, it did not for me

i am using FF 2 on Mac OS X 10.4.8
hope this helps
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

itunes66 wrote: The selector is Supposed to center between font tags, it did not for me

hope this helps

Are you sure? Are you using the absolutley latest CVS? This was added to CVS just hours ago (it has not been added to area51).

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

I see that on this board the list buttons now work correctly.
Still when changing size/color both tags are inserted and the cursor after them (from the bug tracker I got the idea it had been fixed, maybe it wasn't implemented here?).

I think that placing for all buttons both tags and the cursor between them would solve many problems and inconsistencies also reported by code reader: no tags left unclosed by users (I mean, not everyone realizes tags must be closed... they don't even know what a "tag" is...), no tags closed before they're opened, no "close tags" link issue (it closes all the tags at the end of the text, in reverse order they were opened - chronological order, which may differ from physical order - which rarely is what it was expected), no order-in-which-tags-must-be-closed issue, no need for a "syntax check"of the message to see what's missing/wrong, etc.
Of course the user might still break the tags, delete them, or whatever else, but if things worked this way I think it would be easier to understand also for him.

If this could be combined with the "user-friendly" insertion of tags that need a parameter (url, img, quote, flash), which I suggest again, this would reduce the probability of mistakes by the user and consequently corrupted code.

What do you think? Does this make sense to you?
Could it be done?
Last edited by Nicholas the Italian on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: I see that on this board the list buttons now work correctly.
Still when changing size/color both tags are inserted and the cursor after them (from the bug tracker I got the idea it had been fixed, maybe it wasn't implemented here?).

I think that placing for all buttons both tags and the cursor between them would solve many problems and inconsistencies also reported by code reader: no tags left unclosed by users (I mean, not everyone realizes tags must be closed... they don't even know what a "tag" is...), no tags closed before they're opened, no "close tags" link issue (it closes all the tags at the end of the text, in reverse order they were opened - chronological order, which may differ from physical order - which rarely is what it was expected), no order-in-which-tags-must-be-closed issue, no need for a "syntax check"of the message to see what's missing/wrong, etc.
Of course the user might still break the tags, delete them, or whatever else, but if things worked this way I think it would be easier to understand also for him.

If this could be combined with the "user-friendly" insertion of tags that need a parameter (url, img, quote, flash), which I suggest again, this would reduce the probability of mistakes by the user and consequently corrupted code.

What do you think? Does this makes sense to you?
Could it be done?

I agree, if it can be done with size and font, why not with the rest as well? Seems to work just fine.

code reader

Post by code reader »

personally, i think all the buttons/controls should behave the same, as much as possible.
currently they all do when there is some selected text.

however, when there isn't any selected text, there are 2 "sets" of controls with different behavior: the font size and color controls insert the open/close, and place the cursor between the 2, per Nicholas the Italian nice suggestion (this is in development code, not b3 or area51 yet), while the rest (B, i, u etc.) place the open tag in cursor location, while changing the behavior of the button, and loading the close-tags stack.
imo, it would be better if there was only one behavior which all the controls obey.
it can be argued both ways, but i tend to agree with Nicholas that the better way is to always place the open and close tags, with the caret between them, and get rid of the "Close tags" control.

simpler all around, consistent, and the behavior with and without selected text is as close as possible.

[EDIT]
just now i noticed the behavior of "list" and "list="(one reason i didn't notice it before is that it was broken).
when you press "list" the "list=" becomes [*], and vice versa.
this may have been a cute idea when it was thought of initially, but i think it is wrong.
for one thing, it is not a good UI practice to change the meaning of controls based on unrelated events.
even more important, though, is the fact that lists can be nested, and it makes perfect sense to nest a numbered list inside unordered list or vice versa.
if a [*] button is required, it should be a stand-alone one (and, as a bonus, the code will become significantly simpler, because the code assigning [*] to the button and back is cumbersome).
for your amusement, here's some nested lists.
  • aaa
  • bbb
    1. 111
    2. 222
    3. 333
      1. oy vey
      2. gewalt
      3. gott im himmel
        • x
        • y
        • z
      4. WTF
    4. 444
    5. 555
  • ccc
  • ddd
in short, i think the current behavior of the "list" buttons with no text selected is completely wrong.

[/EDIT]

on a different note:
per dhn request in the commit, some cross browser testing.
galeon (1.3.19, KDE): everything works as advertised.
konqueror (3.3.2, KDE): fail to recognize that any text is selected, ie. behaves as if there's no selected text. always inserts everything at the end of the text, while leaving the caret wherever it was before the control was pressed. tested both on area51 and cvs code, same results..

interestingly enough, with konqueror, the "partial quote" feature that uses document.getSelection() does work correctly.

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

Virtuality wrote:
itunes66 wrote: The selector is Supposed to center between font tags, it did not for me

hope this helps

Are you sure? Are you using the absolutley latest CVS? This was added to CVS just hours ago (it has not been added to area51).

yes i am sure, i just ran the update for the 10th time
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

dhn

Post by dhn »

itunes66 wrote: yes i am sure, i just ran the update for the 10th time

Sure you deleted your browser cache?

dhn

Post by dhn »

New editor.js is now working in this forum. Please take a minute and play around with it for a moment and report any issues you find. Make sure to shift-reload or delete your browser cache to to get the updated files.

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

The thing I noticed is when you try two in a row, for example if I first press "Quote" and then directly after "Code", this happens:

[quote]
[/quote]

Pretty messed up.