Tell me, are these bugs or known issues?...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Nicholas the Italian

Tell me, are these bugs or known issues?...

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Maybe this is a known issue and has already been discussed, but I find that the composition of messages has some little (yet annoying) bugs; especially with IE (I'm talking about 6), so you might say it's more a browser issue; anyway, since it's used by 80% of users, I'd just like to know how does the staff deal with it.
IE always inserts tags (and smilies) at the end of the message you're writing, even when the cursor is somewhere else; either when you use the buttons, or the shorcuts, or you select the text and use the shortcut (only works well when selecting and using the buttons).
Should some report these as bugs? Because it was the same in phpBB2, but I managed to get it working (on IE) by modifying a couple of lines of JScript.

Also check the List buttons... either I don't understand how they work, or they don't work... :|

Also, when you change font color or size, can't the cursor be put in the right place (between the two tags) instead that after the closing one? In this case, this could apply also to other tags (so one wouldn't have to remember about closing tags, etc.).

Another couple of things I'd like to see (these are not bugs but rather suggestions, maybe there are mods for them, nonetheless I find them useful and really easy to make):
- a "user-friendly insert" for URLs, imgs and similar: you click the button and are prompted for the URL/description of element, then the tags and content are created automatically;
- when you select a text inserted into a tag, and you click the tag button again, it should remove the existing tags, not add another pair;
- a "smart" close-tags link, which counts how many have actually been opened, not only using the buttons (this is more complex, I know, as it should scan all the message, but it seems faisible);
- [this is more for the future] some kind of captcha for users who don't want to register but intend to post a message? one captcha for each message, I mean... so one is not forced to impose registration, due to spam issues.

Just suggestions, hope I've been of some use.

BTW... great work guys... love it! ;)

dhn

Re: Tell me, are these bugs or known issues?...

Post by dhn »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: IE always inserts tags (and smilies) at the end of the message you're writing, even when the cursor is somewhere else; either when you use the buttons, or the shorcuts, or you select the text and use the shortcut (only works well when selecting and using the buttons).
Should some report these as bugs? Because it was the same in phpBB2, but I managed to get it working (on IE) by modifying a couple of lines of JScript.

That is a bug, not sure what happened here.
Nicholas the Italian wrote: Also check the List buttons... either I don't understand how they work, or they don't work... :

You need to add a [*] before each item inside a list.
Nicholas the Italian wrote: Also, when you change font color or size, can't the cursor be put in the right place (between the two tags) instead that after the closing one? In this case, this could apply also to other tags (so one wouldn't have to remember about closing tags, etc.).

Have to look into it.
Nicholas the Italian wrote: - a "user-friendly insert" for URLs, imgs and similar: you click the button and are prompted for the URL/description of element, then the tags and content are created automatically;

Probably not happening.
Nicholas the Italian wrote: - when you select a text inserted into a tag, and you click the tag button again, it should remove the existing tags, not add another pair;

That would be difficult to do, too many open questions and presumptions that need to be done.
Nicholas the Italian wrote: - a "smart" close-tags link, which counts how many have actually been opened, not only using the buttons (this is more complex, I know, as it should scan all the message, but it seems faisible);

Check the "Close tags" link above next to the BBCode buttons. ;)
Nicholas the Italian wrote: - [this is more for the future] some kind of captcha for users who don't want to register but intend to post a message? one captcha for each message, I mean... so one is not forced to impose registration, due to spam issues.

That is already implemented. :)

Nicholas the Italian

dhn wrote: That is a bug, not sure what happened here.

Ok, I hope someone reported that since I don't know how the bug tracker thing works.
You need to add a [*] before each item inside a list.

Mmm... I press the list button and nothing happens unless something is selected. Maybe it makes some sense (in which case should be explained to the user) but it is unexpected behaviour to me.
Plus, should I add the {*} manually?
Have to look into it.

I think that would be good, solving many problems (unclosed tags, parity/order check, etc.).
Probably not happening.

All right, can I know if there's a particoular reason for that? I think (in my ignorance) it's a 5-minute thing, and could prove useful. Other boards already implement it.
If you don't I'm gonna tweak it in the final product, no problem, but I'm wondering why not.
That would be difficult to do, too many open questions and presumptions that need to be done.

I don't know how to do it, but if the selected text starts with {b} and ends with {/b} and the B button is pressed, the tags should be removed instead of added... Is it that hard to get it done?
(Then you could think about selected text within tags (with tags excluded), or one tag included and one excluded, but this would already be a "something-more".)
Check the "Close tags" link above next to the BBCode buttons. ;)

Nope, it only works if I always use buttons... :)
"But why should users open a tag with buttons and close it manually?"
Well, users do crazy things. I do. :oops:
That is already implemented. :)

Oh fine, I admit I haven't checked all the new possibilities, so if you say it is there I believe you! ;)

th23

Post by th23 »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: Plus, should I add the {*} manually?

Who said manually? ... Use the * button...
Nicholas the Italian wrote: ...tags should be removed instead of added... Is it that hard to get it done?

As stated wouldn't be easy to capture all the BBCodes... especially think about the custom ones as well... lot of JS Code to write... however, why should a button designed to add BB codes remove them?
Nicholas the Italian wrote: Well, users do crazy things. I do.

Well I better leave this uncommented because of the rules, but could hardly resist to take such an offer to make a joke... ;)
Nicholas the Italian wrote: ...I haven't checked all the new possibilities...

No offense, but I would do so before posting...

Regards
th23

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: Ok, I hope someone reported that since I don't know how the bug tracker thing works.

Come on... 8O If you can post here, you can post to the bug tracker. Just make sure you're logged in with your http://www.phpbb.com account, or you won't be able to enter bug reports or comments.

code reader

Post by code reader »

Eelke wrote: Come on... 8O If you can post here, you can post to the bug tracker. Just make sure you're logged in with your http://www.phpbb.com account, or you won't be able to enter bug reports or comments.
no need, really: dhn, quick as the wind, already fixed it and committed the fix to cvs, so this bug-report will be born with an "already fixed" status.

and th23: i think you are a bit unfair. this user have reported a real and important bug. i think it's better to commend him for it, rather than blast him for not finding the "visual confirmation for guest posting" option in ACP.
the acp is very complex, and so rich with options that it is very easy to miss something.
specifically for this option, i could understand anyone who looked for it under the "Posting" tab (after all, "visual confirmation for guest posting" is a posting-related choice), and concluded this option does not exist once they didn't find it there.
as to "how about using the [*] button": i challenge you to show me this button and tell me how it works.

Nicholas the Italian

th23 wrote: Who said manually? ... Use the * button...

It does NOT work, that's the point...
I press one of the List buttons => the other one becomes a * button, but no tag is inserted;
I press the * button => the other one turns * too (which means I now have two * buttons and no list yet).
Only if I select a text and press a list button, then a list is created; but even then when I click the * button other lists are inserted, not items.
Tested with IE6 and Firefox2 on Win XP SP2 and Firefox 1.0 on Gnome.
Now, am I the only one experiencing this? Am I really so dumb I haven't got how the thing works? Otherwise I'll report this as a bug too.
however, why should a button designed to add BB codes remove them?

:?
For the same reason that in a word processor when you select a bold text and click the bold button the text turns out light, not double-bolded...
No offense, but I would do so before posting...

I reported something I thought was a bug whatever all the options and possibilities. I also took the chance to write some extra opinions/suggestions; incidentally one of them turned out to be already implemented. Sorry for my awful sin, won't happen again.
Anyway don't worry, I'll keep looking and testing this week-end, so I might provide some more useful feedback.
Eelke wrote: Come on... If you can post here, you can post to the bug tracker. Just make sure you're logged in with your http://www.phpbb.com account

Another account... :roll:
Ok done, I'm starting to like the thing, I'll try to report as many bugs as possible, so if the devs were preparing their suitcases for their Hawaii holiday they'd better unpack them and get back to work... sorry guys... :mrgreen:

Nicholas the Italian

code reader wrote: no need, really: dhn, quick as the wind, already fixed it and committed the fix to cvs, so this bug-report will be born with an "already fixed" status.

Acc... 5 minutes too late. Ok, they'll just close it.
this user have reported a real and important bug. i think it's better to commend him for it, rather than blast him for not finding the "visual confirmation for guest posting" option in ACP.
the acp is very complex, and so rich with options that it is very easy to miss something.

Thanx ;)
as to "how about using the [*] button": i challenge you to show me this button and tell me how it works.

So it's the same problem for you? Well if it is you might report it, I cannot tonight.
Unless the quick-as-the-wind has already fixed it... ;)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Yes, now that I try it, I can't get LIST to work correctly either.
I've tried about every possible clicking button combination I can think of... still can't figure it out. :?

I'm so used to typing everything, I've never thought to actually use the "buttons" in the posting screen. :D

code reader

Post by code reader »

i think i commented on it in another thread, but the buttons' behavior in the posting screen is somewhat less than consistent.

if you have some text selected, they will operate "as expected", ie., the selected text will be enclosed in an "open tag/close tag" pair.

if you don't have any selected text, the buttons behave in a somewhat surprising way:
the buttons, except the "list" and "list=" buttons perform the following actions:
  • place the "open tag" at the cursor location
  • change the button caption by adding a "*"
  • change the button behavior to "place the close tag at cursor location"
  • add the close tag to the "Close all tags" stack
the "List" and "List=" buttons, when pressed with no text selected seem to do almost nothing. the only effect i found was that each of them, when pressed changed the other's legend to "[*]".

the font size and font color controls, when selected, place the open-tag immediately followed by the close-tag. i agree with Nicholas the Italian view that, if this is really the desired behavior, it would be best if the caret was placed between the open and close tags. alternatively, to be consistent with all the other buttons, only the "open tag" should be placed, and have the "close tag" placed on the next click on the control.

to add just one more curiosity, we have the hint, under the buttons, which starts life as "Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text", but as soon as the mouse hovers above any of the buttons and controls, it remembers the last hint, regardless of mouse pointer location.

the last (for now) small idiosyncrasy is the fact that the "close tags" button appears as a link rather than a button, although it function is, in principle, the same as all the other buttons.