phpbb front page

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
masteranu84

phpbb front page

Post by masteranu84 »

Hi, im the noob on the phpbb.Just want to know how to make a front page on my forum? Issit need to download anything and install ? Or just download the script and copy paste enuff?can someone tell me how to make a front page on my self/forum?

Eelke

Re: phpbb front page

Post by Eelke »

What do you mean by a frontpage? The board has a frontpage, it's where you find the forum overview :) I'm guessing that you want a page that has something like news items, a welcome message, etc. Basically, you want to plug the board into a site that is more than just a board.

Anyway, modifying phpBB 3.0 is not supported at the moment, I would recommend that you stick with phpBB 2.0 for now, and go to http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/" target="_blank to look through the wealth of information that is available there. You're not the first to want to build a site around phpBB ;) By far the easiest way is to just create your site, and either make it look like the forum, or make the forum look like your site.

masteranu84

Post by masteranu84 »

Ya,You are anwser my question now. Just want to build a 1st page as welcome msg, notepad.etc. What should software i need ? can teach me step by step? Im current using phpBB 2.0.20.version now. Mean i can't build a 1st page on my forum if upgrade to phpbb 3.0 ?

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

This really isn't the right place to be asking about that. It seems to me that you're not in a position skill-wise to be able to run a forum effectively. There are many tutorials out there for building your own site, which would be a first step for you before running a forum. I recommend that you look into those first.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

masteranu84

Post by masteranu84 »

Ok. Thanks for reply my msg. Pls close this thread .

Silver9990

Post by Silver9990 »

Martin Blank wrote: This really isn't the right place to be asking about that. It seems to me that you're not in a position skill-wise to be able to run a forum effectively. There are many tutorials out there for building your own site, which would be a first step for you before running a forum. I recommend that you look into those first.

No reason to be rude, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to run a forum you know. I think you owe that person an appology.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I don't think that was rude at all. It was just stating an opinion in an efficient way (and Martin is right, if you have to ask about what software to use to build a website, you're in the wrong place). Maybe the comment on not being skillful enough to run a forum is a bit of a stretch, but then again, some level of understanding on PHP and MySQL isn't too much to ask for to run a forum, I think. Which I think is also about enough to go off and answer your own questions about creating a simple frontpage (Google is your friend).

Producing Open Source Software/Recognizing rudeness

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

I certainly don't think he was being rude either, but rather up-front and truthful.
Not everyone can or should be a webmaster or administrator of a forum.
It's important to realize what kind of skill level is involved when trying to do things yourself, such as run a forum.

For example, the people on here who 'ask' if they can run phpBB3 Beta on a live site, it is not wrong to say, that if they are asking, they don't have the skill level to actually do it. It's the truth.
And I mean no disrespect. :)

Silver9990

Post by Silver9990 »

Well, everyone has the right to their own opinion, with that said, it's my opinion that he was being a little rude. And yes, some level of skill is required to run a web site / forum, but just because someone asks a simple question doesn't give other people the right to say they don't have what it takes, you can't go around making assumptions about people you know nothing about.