RC1 safe to use?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
coffeechika

RC1 safe to use?

Post by coffeechika »

I just LOVE phpbb, it has to be the best software since sliced bread went digital..

i was just wondering if i would be able to use RC1 in a live environment when it comes out?
i understand BETA 3 is still not finished and am more than happy to wait if it means having a more secure final product. i am however bursting to start my community and get my development underway..

looking at the release scedual for beta1,2 and 3 it seems a new release is made every 2 - 3 months.. so if RC1 comes out in the new year i want to be able to use it from then.. i was also wondering if its possible to integrate side a control panel into the template (or future templates).. i would like to use mods in the CP like 'recent topic' and extra features like photo album etc.

please let me know if this is possible and which portal you think i should use..

thanks

TigerWolf

Re: RC1 safe to use?

Post by TigerWolf »

This is not an official word but by the looks of it and all of the documentation it would be safe to use RC1 in a production environment.

coffeechika

Post by coffeechika »

TigerWolf wrote: This is not an official word but by the looks of it and all of the documentation it would be safe to use RC1 in a production environment.

great! thanks...

i was also wondering, if i was to go ahead with this would there be a hack out to upgrade to gold from rc1 when it comes out??

also im looking to pay a website designing company to come up with a design for me, any idea when the skinning info is out?

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

It is not safe to use in production (possible != safe). However there will be an upgrade path, so it's very very likely any data generated on RC1 will be upgradable to the 3.0.0 gold release. Of course we provide no warranties to the operation of the software under any condition anyway (read the license ;)).

phpBB2.0 MODs are not compatible with 3.0. I cannot suggest a portal to use as none exist that I am aware of which are compatible with 3.0. As for integration, sure you can integrate anything, just have to have the know how.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

coffeechika wrote: i am however bursting to start my community and get my development underway..

So why not just start it with a simple phpBB2 forum. That will get things going and will be upgradeable to phpBB3 gold.

bad-dj

Post by bad-dj »

well say if i get RC1 can you upgrade from rc1 to rc2 and so on ?

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

bad-dj wrote: well say if i get RC1 can you upgrade from rc1 to rc2 and so on ?

What part of there will be an upgrade path made available from RC1 onwards is hard to understand?

The key words are italicised. ;)
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

It is in fact the entire point of the release candidate phase that the more advanced users can start using it in a live environment (of course, the very advanced users have already been using it live :roll:). That's why there will be a supported upgrade path.

Just do realise that this very change in policy from beta to RC may cause bugs to jump out that weren't found before, which could potentially be "dangerous". It may screw up your data (backups!), or it may have dangerous security implications that require quick action to get your board upgraded. (This may of course also happen when the software has been released officially, but the chance of it occuring is a bit bigger with an RC).

brucecw

Post by brucecw »

smithy_dll wrote: It is not safe to use in production (possible != safe).

I am tempted to say that life itself is not safe. (Sorry, I am caring for a very close and dear family member who is dying of cancer so I am not in a very cheerful mood :( ).

It's good that so many people want to run v3, but before you do you should be aware that there are risks even for released software. If you want a reasonable assurance that the software (any software, not just phpbb) won't blow up in your face it's usually a good idea to wait several minor releases AFTER the major (gold) release.

That of course goes triple for the beta, even though some still seem to persist in running it live even if they don't have the ability to do ALL of the troubleshooting themselves (sigh).

FWIW.