Beta 3?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Eelke

Re: Beta 3?

Post by Eelke »

Well, I wasn't sure, because I've never really felt the need to use it (until now, that is). Hence,
Eelke wrote: I hope there are some good controls to limit the allowed characters on your board.

and
Eelke wrote: Which might well already be in the product, for all I know. I wasn't complaining :)

Sorry if it's not allowed to make small talk based on little, unchecked - because I have no access to a test install where I am - concerns.

Spiros-

Post by Spiros- »

Yesterday I saw the board @ area51 down, so I thought the next beta was on the way. Yes, I was true. Congratulations phpBB team! :)

manoj

Post by manoj »

i hate the fact that it's B4 that's probably coming out next but i guess it's necessary if we want a nice, bug-free, polished product in the end :P

Freelance

Post by Freelance »

manoj wrote: if we want a nice, bug-free, polished product in the end :P

And in the end, that's what we all want, isn't it?
Sh*t Can Happen !!!
[Building a large project based on phpBB3 - Progress 15%]
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

manoj wrote: i hate the fact that it's B4 that's probably coming out next

How is that a fact? Did I miss something? The version string has b4-dev, but that's just because the version number needs some kind of increase. The dev team calling it rc1-dev would probably be getting ahead of themselves, so it's b4-dev for now. Doesn't imply anything about how likely it is the next will be b4 or rc1. So don't worry too much ;)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Even though they could have the next one RC1, I kinda doubt it will be(after the UTF-8 changes). Bugs get reported until many critical ones are fixed, Beta 4 comes out, very few new bugs are noticed because no new major changes(at least none that I know of), then RC1 comes out. ;)

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

EXreaction wrote: Even though they could have the next one RC1, I kinda doubt it will be(after the UTF-8 changes). Bugs get reported until many critical ones are fixed, Beta 4 comes out, very few new bugs are noticed because no new major changes(at least none that I know of), then RC1 comes out. ;)
A release candidate is a version which is thought suitable for release; i.e. one with all major bugs removed (where we should hopefully be post-B3). Unless any significant changes occur, or a very large number of bugs are reported, I do doubt (and hope) that B4 will need to happen.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

A release candidate is a version which is thought suitable for release; i.e. one with all major bugs removed (where we should hopefully be post-B3). Unless any significant changes occur, or a very large number of bugs are reported, I do doubt (and hope) that B4 will need to happen.[/quote]

Yes I know. :P

I am expecting quite a few bugs to be reported with the change to UTF-8, so that is where I am coming from on the B4 idea. :)
(though if we have a B4 and there are not major changes like we have in the past with betas, it should go very fast before it gets to RC)

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

EXreaction,

I totally concur with you.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

EXreaction wrote: I am expecting quite a few bugs to be reported with the change to UTF-8, so that is where I am coming from on the B4 idea. :)
(though if we have a B4 and there are not major changes like we have in the past with betas, it should go very fast before it gets to RC)

At current, there are 23 open bugs, and only one of them linked to UTF-8. This is far, far, less than anything seen after the release of previous Beta's, so it does look like the flow is coming to an end. I'm not denying the possibility of a fourth beta being necessitated, but from what I can tell at current, I'm not convinced that will be the case.