php

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
cbrain

php

Post by cbrain »

I was thinking about installing php to my computer. If I install it, how does it work? Will my computer turn into a web server which anyone could acces (which I don't want), or will it just allow me to view php scripts in my browser?

Martin Blank

Re: php

Post by Martin Blank »

Neither. PHP is a scripting language, and its capabilities are based on what you have installed. If you intend to use it to learn the language for use in scripting web pages, you will need to install some kind of web server (Apache, IIS, or similar). Its presence will not allow you to read PHP off of remote websites, because all that is transmitted to you is the HTML generated on the server by the script. You can use it purely locally sort of like an extremely powerful batch scripting language, but there aren't many tutorials on this.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

cbrain

Post by cbrain »

Soooooooo......the thing you download of the php website is just a libary of scripts?

cbrain

Post by cbrain »

Coughs.

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

cbrain wrote: Coughs.

"You can lead a horse to water, though you cannot make it drink."

PHP's own site and the package you download is filled with a wealth of information on how to install it along with what's required. Read it and learn from it. Otherwise you're beyond your own competencies and asking for trouble.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

cbrain

Post by cbrain »

Ok....I have downloaded and installed it but theres not that many files. So....do I use php.exe to write my scripts, and if so, how do I save and load them?

I have never been faced with a commandline interface before....

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

cbrain wrote: Ok....I have downloaded and installed it but theres not that many files. So....do I use php.exe to write my scripts, and if so, how do I save and load them?

I have never been faced with a commandline interface before....

Had you read the documentation (which by asking the question above it's very clear that you haven't) you'd have enlightened yourself that no commandline is required at all to install PHP on Windows.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

cbrain

Post by cbrain »

Which file is the documentation?

Spiros-

Post by Spiros- »

cbrain wrote: Which file is the documentation?

The documentation is here. By the way have you browsed php.net for a bit, or you decided to go straight to the downloads page? You could find the instructions with ease.. ;)

redhair

Post by redhair »

Oprah: Buy the book!
redhair like no other.

subMerged3 for phpBB3 BETA?