Last Topic Name in index

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
code reader

Re: Last Topic Name in index

Post by code reader »

if the main rationale for not displaying it is "to avoid clutter", i think this decision should be left to the template designer.

so, imo, the right thing to do is to add one more field (`last_post_subject`) to the "topics" table in the db, store and retrieve the correct value, and let the template designer decide what's clutter and what't not.

this will cost very little in code (change ~3 lines, add ~1), absolutely 0 effect on performance (the topic table is modified or read anyway), and completely negligible effect on db size.
[EDIT: it will actually require to change ~5 lines: i forgot the case where the subject of last post is changed with by an "edit" operation :twisted: ]

it's an extremely simple mod, but it will make every template designer that decides she wants it to require code modification in order for her template to work. not nice.

again, this can hardly be considered "feature request". at most, its a tweak. (it is actually much smaller change than the half assed "author name in correct color" tweak that was casually added on aug. 21)

every other modern forum software i saw support it, and as the saying goes: "trilions of flyes can't all be wrong. eat sh!t" ;)

dhn

Post by dhn »

code reader wrote: so, imo, the right thing to do is to add one more field (`last_post_subject`) to the "topics" table in the db, store and retrieve the correct value, and let the template designer decide what's clutter and what't not.

The code for this is already finished and will be in CVS soon. It will not be used in subsilver, nor in the new style by default.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

I like this feature and I agree that either it should be customizable and easily addable into the template by the template designer or the forum administrator, or it should be available for both/one or the other/neither in the ACP. Just my opinion, but I'm not one to tell you how to make your software! :)

-Aldenhier
Awaiting the release of rc1!

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

dhn wrote: The code for this is already finished and will be in CVS soon. It will not be used in subsilver, nor in the new style by default.

That was so amazingly understated :D Who said phpBB never listen to their users?

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

I agree with you there as well, Aldenhier.
If the option is there for the template... it could be a switch in the ACP.

monotek

Post by monotek »

Fortunately phpbb is now able to do this without making changes to the php code.
Imho this is a big advance compared to version 2.0.x
I would prefer a switch in the acp anyway.

Graham

Post by Graham »

We will not be added a switch to the ACP for this.

The variables for both the preferred colour for the last poster name and the topic of the last post are available in the template, it will be up to the designer of the template whether they are used or not (the default template will use the colour but not the topic)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I just tried the latest CVS version and it works great.

The only problem with the system now is that if you use a completely different subject in your reply others will have no idea on the index to which topic this post belongs to.

The better solution IMO would be to write the topic title in the forum_last_post_subject field.

Dr.Death

Post by Dr.Death »

The last_topic_title is also not "censord" with the "censor word" function......
Doc.

Dawson

Post by Dawson »

There's also a problem with the length with the topic title. If the title is longer than, let's say 32 letters it will cause huge problems with the layout on the index.