can it be done?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
code reader

can it be done?

Post by code reader »

one of the problems i see in olympus testing process, is the difficulty of testers to advance to the next version.
there was no upgrade path from b1 to b2, there is no upgrade path from b2 to development version, and there will (most probably) be no upgrade path from b2 to b3.

now, testing with b2 is all but useless. more than half the b-2 reported bugs are in "already fixed/duplicate" state, and it is a nuisance for the developers to even look at b2 reported bugs, because they have to try and reproduce them in b2, then (if they succeed) again with development version, only to discover, in more than half the cases, that the bug was already fixed.
it would be much more productive if all of us, testers, were on the latest development version, or, if not the latest, at least on a relatively advanced one. b2 just doesnt cut it any more as a testing platform. it is just too far behind.

i expressed my opinion in the past that an upgrade path between betas would be a good thing. but i fully understand that such a tool will not be created, because it is just too much work to make, maintain, and support, and its use is just too limited.

otoh, without an upgrade, too many of the testers are left behind, operating intricate and complex boards without contributing much any more to the testing process.

now the question:

is it possible to do a data only backup on a b-2 board, maybe massage the file a little bit manually, and do a restore on a cvs/snapshot/(eventually b-3) board?
did anyone try it?
what would be the problems with such a process?

if this was possible, i think it would encourage many testers to move away from b-2 faster, and help the testing process.

cutaia

Re: can it be done?

Post by cutaia »

Please do correct me if I'm wrong here, but: Wouldn't the only reason to care about the database be that you're running a live board when you shouldn't be?

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

You has the phpbb checkins, so, you now the changes into the database. You can easy make this changes to your dev forum, so you has always a updatodate cvs :)

I think if they provide a upgrade, there will be some noobs (sorry for the word) use it, so you got more questions about it, that aren't very smart :).
so I think it isn't a good idea to provide a upgrade from any beta/cvs to the RC, because to much users that don't know really much about it are using it, and you got many support questions about the forumsoftware, that aren't needed.

profpete

Post by profpete »

There are a few schema changes since b2. But from what I can see, they look fairly easy to deal with. Anyone competent with mysql shouldn't have too much trouble at all moving the database from b2 to b3.

Graham

Post by Graham »

As has been said before, if you know what you are doing, sure you can move your data between Beta versions but we won't support you doing so.

For purposes of bug reporting, we need to be sure that what you are reporting is actually a genuine bug and not something caused by you attempting to migrate data and getting it wrong. There have been several bug reports where we have spent far too long attempting and failing to reproduce an issue someone reported against a "clean cvs install" only to discover a week later that it wasn't clean at all but that they've attempted to migrate data to it.

In the case of the B2 to B3 path we have not just added columns to the database, we've also changed types, attributes, etc of columns and the collations of the database and the chances of people making a mess of that are quite high especially if they have the "complex" setups you claim

On a serious note, anyone who has to ask if it's possible generally shouldn't think about attempting to do so.

We warned that there would likely be no upgrade path between Betas and that they should not be used live for a good reason based on our past experience and that has proven to be true.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

Why not use the CVS version? Seriously.. its not that hard.. just have to grab a copy, and install it..

If you want to do testing on large postings or large user forum situations, try taking a look in the /develop folder :) Theres a few useful files in there..

Yawnster

Paul

Post by Paul »

Yawnster wrote: Why not use the CVS version? Seriously.. its not that hard.. just have to grab a copy, and install it..

If you want to do testing on large postings or large user forum situations, try taking a look in the /develop folder :) Theres a few useful files in there..

Yawnster
But withoud modification they don't work correctly, you must edit them a bit to make them work correctly for the current code. (Talking about the files that posting messages, other files i don't know :))

EDIT: Meik has fixed that with his checkin :)