Why does everyone care about Beta 3 so much?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Acyd Burn

Re: Why does everyone care about Beta 3 so much?

Post by Acyd Burn »

Works on the utf8 front are not finished yet - there is still one component missing which will be hopefully finished by the weekend. Of course it is always nice if some people test out the CVS (or the snapshots) code to report any issues - this becomes especially important because of the implications of using only one encoding, we need as much different configurations as we can get - and this is only possible with people actually testing out cvs code (even if they need to completely reinstall from snapshot to snapshot - it is a lot of work and we really appreciate it).

ErikZ

Post by ErikZ »

Like the others said: It's a milestone. I'm rooting for RC1 personally, and every beta release, every bug crushed brings me joy. :mrgreen:

And beyond downloading it and installing it, I'm a lousy beta tester. I tried playing around with it, but I find that I can't tell if something isn't working because it's broke, or because they're not done working on it.

It's a complex piece of software, you need to be pretty involved to get an idea of what's going on.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

ErikZ wrote: I tried playing around with it, but I find that I can't tell if something isn't working because it's broke, or because they're not done working on it.

Generally always assume it is broken. ;) We will close the report if it is really an unfinished area - but better one report closed than one bug unresolved.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Acyd Burn wrote: Generally always assume it is broken. ;) We will close the report if it is really an unfinished area - but better one report closed than one bug unresolved.

except when the dev. teams marks a bug that won't ever be fixed ;)

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

hmm isnt unicode already supported?

试试看

Zero Cool

Post by Zero Cool »

People are so interested in Beta 3 and/or RC1 because once RC1 is released (supposedly) developers can begin writing MODs and new Themes for phpBB3 as there are supposedly going to be no major code changes between RCs and Gold

Archer 07

Post by Archer 07 »

The real question is, why is everyone so interested in a Beta 3 after waiting for two extra years already?

RBH

Post by RBH »

One step closer to release, tbh. After beta 3 comes out, I'll be getting excited over beta 4/RC1.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Archer 07 wrote: The real question is, why is everyone so interested in a Beta 3 after waiting for two extra years already?

how do you figure "two extra years" in 'eh? They never set a public timetable for release so for all we know it could be ahead of schedule (though somehow I reeeeeally doubt that).

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Zero Cool wrote: People are so interested in Beta 3 and/or RC1 because once RC1 is released (supposedly) developers can begin writing MODs and new Themes for phpBB3 as there are supposedly going to be no major code changes between RCs and Gold

I didn't say RC 1. That I am really anxious to get... because it will be the first point where upgrading the schema will be easy and done through an updater. (if the schema hasn't already been locked down).