What happens with the html in phpBB?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
TDF
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:13 am

What happens with the html in phpBB?

Post by TDF »

I can't enable it.. anyone know why? =\
ElbertF
Registered User
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:35 pm
Location: tracing..
Contact:

Re: What happens with the html in phpBB?

Post by ElbertF »

HTML isn't secure enough, that's why we have powerful custom BBCodes now..
User avatar
the_dan
Registered User
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:36 pm

Re: What happens with the html in phpBB?

Post by the_dan »

The feature has now been removed, I believe.
TDF
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:13 am

Re: What happens with the html in phpBB?

Post by TDF »

I can't believe.. phpBB with no HTML support? =\
User avatar
VxJasonxV
Registered User
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Contact:

Re: What happens with the html in phpBB?

Post by VxJasonxV »

spambot wrote: HTML isn't secure enough, that's why we have powerful custom BBCodes now..
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"
User avatar
NNO-Stephen
Registered User
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:47 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: What happens with the html in phpBB?

Post by NNO-Stephen »

TDF wrote: I can't believe.. phpBB with no HTML support? =\

well, you'd better believe it, pal.

they killed it off, and I'm sure a mod to add it in will be out pronto.
Image
User avatar
Eelke
Registered User
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Bussum, NL
Contact:

Re: What happens with the html in phpBB?

Post by Eelke »

BBCode is much more controleable than HTML, from both a programmer's POV as well as a board administrator's POV. When you allow HTML, you have to think carefully about what tags and attributes you allow. When you define a BBCode, you have exact control over the HTML that will be generated. And with the new custom BBCodes, there shouldn't be anything that HTML will allow that you can not do with a BBCode.

I'm sure someone will hack HTML support back into 3.0, but I would think carefully before actually using it.
User avatar
NNO-Stephen
Registered User
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:47 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: What happens with the html in phpBB?

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Eelke wrote: BBCode is much more controleable than HTML, from both a programmer's POV as well as a board administrator's POV. When you allow HTML, you have to think carefully about what tags and attributes you allow. When you define a BBCode, you have exact control over the HTML that will be generated. And with the new custom BBCodes, there shouldn't be anything that HTML will allow that you can not do with a BBCode.

I'm sure someone will hack HTML support back into 3.0, but I would think carefully before actually using it.

HTML allows you you to reference formatted text without calling the BBCode parser.
Image
User avatar
Eelke
Registered User
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Bussum, NL
Contact:

Re: What happens with the html in phpBB?

Post by Eelke »

What do you mean by referencing formatted text and what is the advantage of not calling the BBCode parser?
User avatar
NNO-Stephen
Registered User
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:47 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: What happens with the html in phpBB?

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Eelke wrote: What do you mean by referencing formatted text and what is the advantage of not calling the BBCode parser?

I mean like pulling it for say... http://www.gamechew.com/news.php" target="_blank that. that's actually pulling from the forums.

and not calling the BBCode parser, well, it's just much easier to not call it.
Image
Post Reply