Community moderation

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Rotsblok

Re: Community moderation

Post by Rotsblok »

ok :lol:
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

I've seen that.

It's okay. The one bad part is the fact that it does negetive rep, there should not be "-" rep IMO.

For details on how (I believe) the Karma system should work, see this post.

I've seen this system work, and know it works well... I have NEVER seen it implemented on any phpBB board before.
Probably because phpBB2 would not easily be able to handle it, but phpBB3 would be able to.
OR
Nobody has thought to make one like that...

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Well, I have thought the karma system over quite a few times myself, and I really don't think there is any way you can make it so it won't be abused.

The best karma design(IMHO) against abuse would be something like this:
  1. Every user starts out with a set number of karma points(10 or 25 maybe)
  2. Certian(trusted) users(like admins/global mods) have unlimited amounts of karma points they can give away.
  3. You can't give someone negative karma.
  4. When someone gives out a point of karma, they lose a point of karma.
  5. When you do give karma it goes 1 point at a time, and you can't give any karma on the same post again(so people don't forget).
  6. If a post is edited, all the karma that was given for that post goes back to the people that gave out karma for that post in the first place(and if you gave a point of karma for the original post, you can give it again for the new one)
Of course it has some major flaws...
If someone doesn't like using the karma system but people think he/she posts very good information they will have a bloated karma score compared to everyone else(and less karma points that will be able to go around).
And most of all people will not want to give out points because they will lose them from their own stock pile. But it should be looked at differently, if you post very good information you will have loads of karma you can give away, so the better info you post, the better off you would be.

Then I would just have in one spot in the person's profile a place that would say X number of karma points have gone through this person. That way it it would mean something, but it wouldn't really be that importiant. But then there is a big chance for abuse again, so you would need a system to automatically watch for groups that gang up and only give karma points to people in their group of friends...

And most of all it would have to be easy to use. You could click a button on the post and post a small comment if you want, and send it away without having to load an extra page. ;)

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

I dont think you should mix karma like that. There should be karma that you have recived, and karma that you can give away. You should not be able to give away karma you have recived. As for hte karma you are allowed to give, it should be calculated either by ammount of posts, or on a timed basis (or a combination of both).
Dennis Robinson

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: I dont think you should mix karma like that. There should be karma that you have recived, and karma that you can give away. You should not be able to give away karma you have recived. As for hte karma you are allowed to give, it should be calculated either by ammount of posts, or on a timed basis (or a combination of both).

I agree with you, but if you keep karma after giving it away the entire system will be abused by groups that just keep giving their friends more points. :P

Highway of Life

Yes, but the way the method I'm talking about... you can only give reps to a person once per twenty people.
AND
Can only give up to 10 reps per 24 hours.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Highway of Life wrote: Yes, but the way the method I'm talking about... you can only give reps to a person once per twenty people.
AND
Can only give up to 10 reps per 24 hours.

A group of 20 people randomly giving points to each other would bypass that. 8O

Plus then you would be limiting how much rep you could give a person even if they truely deserve it...

Quite a bit if you have a few extra accounts...

I am not trying to take you guys down or anything. It is just that karma systems are usually abused more then they are used... :(

Highway of Life

Sure it's abused.
But it's abused less than any other Karma system.

AND it works really well. :D

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Could be, but I won't put a karma system up on my board. :P

I really love the idea of one. Newbies would know who can actually give them help, and know who not to trust info from(many times I have seen noobs helping noobs break their computer when the actual question was how to get something working).

I could see something like this mabey working with an event system. When the users get X number of posts and X number of karma points they can give out more and have less restrictions(of course an admin would watch over it, and if you have it set to something like 500-1000 posts or points for every step up(and have a nice list of who stepped up within the last day) you could push the ones abusing it back down pretty easily. :mrgreen:

Highway of Life

There ya go!!!

Now you're catching it. ;)