Last Topic Name in index

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
unknow

Last Topic Name in index

Post by unknow »

Hello,

i don't know if this written before or not .. but i did Search and didn't find anything.

any way, can you add this feature on the newest one

in index.. the board is only showing on the "Last Post"
the last user who post .. but not the title of the last post ..

can you please :) .. add this i hope you understand what does i mean .. and im sure that's is very easy too add!

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Edit:

ok here Description for phpbb 2.xx hack ... just or if u did't understand what does i mean:
-adds lasts post topic to each forum on the index page (based on read-access)
-word censorship is used
-topic title with more then 27 chars are cut off
-mouseover info displays the full title

dhn

Re: Last Topic Name in index

Post by dhn »

No, because it doesn't add anything useful but clutter.

unknow

Post by unknow »

No, because it doesn't add anything useful but clutter.

hmmm, i don't think it's not useful
there are no Board software in the Earth that haven't added this feature.

but it's ok if there someone will made a mod with phpbb v3 released.

and i Respect what do u do and what do u don't..

Thanks.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Beyond personal opinions, the simple fact of the matter is 3.0 is in a feature freeze, so it won't be added for the next release, and for the release after that (3.2) I think they have also decided on the final feature list.

There are discussion on this board about such a feature, it's a trade-off between performance (it adds more queries to build the index page) and extra information/clutter (positive/negative take on it ;)) on the index page.

Whether every other board software on the planet has this feature or not isn't really an issue. phpBB takes pride in having a well-balanced feature set and not taking part in the look-I've-got-the-most-features-competition.

dhn

Post by dhn »

Eelke wrote: There are discussion on this board about such a feature, it's a trade-off between performance (it adds more queries to build the index page) and extra information/clutter (positive/negative take on it ;)) on the index page.

Actually performance is not an issue in this case as any sane person would store / cache the last topic name in the forum table instead of querying the topics table each time. This is only a matter of clutter. The extra information it gains you is pretty much worthless as you never now how many topics have been replied to or how many new topics have been posted since your last visit (which would actually be a more useful feature). ;)

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

unknow wrote: but it's ok if there someone will made a mod with phpbb v3 released.

This mod is already in the making, and will probably be released very soon after the final release of 3.0.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

dhn wrote: Actually performance is not an issue in this case as any sane person would store / cache the last topic name in the forum table instead of querying the topics table each time.

I knew I should have thought about this reply a bit longer :) (You won't believe this crossed my mind for a moment, will you?) I do seem to recall it being mentioned as an argument way back when this was discussed before.

code reader

Post by code reader »

dhn wrote: The extra information it gains you is pretty much worthless as you never now how many topics have been replied to or how many new topics have been posted since your last visit (which would actually be a more useful feature). ;)
this is a very old argument, and definitely water under the bridge by now, but i can't see how the last poster name on a forum is useful and last post title is worthless.
it is my guess that if showing both these details were made configurable (ie, the admin could select wheter or not to show last poster and last post title on the index, either per forum or globally for your board), most people would choose to show both, some would choose to show neither, and of those who would choose to show only one of the two, most would show the post title rather than the poster name.
(this is just a guess, of course).

imo, a more correct/sincere answer will be the classical psotfx response: "it is so because i (we) said so".

btw: same logic applies to last message in a thread in forum view: why show the last poster but not the last post title, if/when the last post has a title?

and, as to the "feature frozen" issue: something like this is not a "feature". at most it's a tweak, and tweaks of this magnitude are being presented into the code even now.

CalluM

Post by CalluM »

Liiiike... this?

[Spam]

Do you mean that sorta thing where the topic names are viewable?

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

No... that's not it...

Unless I'm not seeing it because I'm not signed up/logged in.

In the far right column it would have...

Topic title
Date
-> Last poster

Right now, by default it has...

Date
-> Last poster

Anyways, no feature requests... the Devs decided not to Add it, so it'll be a MOD instead...