what do you think about vista of microsoft?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
textilebbs

Post by textilebbs »

asmith3006

Re: what do you think about vista of microsoft?

Post by asmith3006 »

I think it looks pretty damned good and has some really nifty features. Just a shame it's taken so long to get here.

APTX

Post by APTX »

It's incredibly slow.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

I'm a Mac guy, 'nuff said.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

Latest build is supposed to be very speedy compared to previous versions. Not used it myself so can't comment.

Why does the fact you use a mac mean you have nothing to say on Vista? Do we just assume you're in the typical mac "vista copies mac os for every feature; vista is crap for no real reason other than I use a mac" camp?

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

No, it's just very hard not to be snooty and make unfair jokes about it, so it's better that I don't go into too much detail. I don't care about borrowing features, that's how the world works. I just feel, too little, too late.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

hmm, given the resource requirement from Vista.. not to good really. then again, I never was a MS fan to begin with

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

w00t for Ubuntu, I will probably have a copy lying around the house that I will install into GRUB sometime in the near future as I have about a dozen computers in my household and very few run anything other than windows..

Looks like an improvement, but with the whole stack of new code (from what I understand its totally rewritten from XP), Im guessing security could be the same joke as it is now.. Personally I think they should have built upon XP, the OS is already been security tested for the last five years, but ive never built an OS so I wont really know if this is possible or visable for that matter..

As for the interface design, its still one step forwards and two steps back, personally I use Linux because of its superior interface, the new 3d view thing on windows is nice, but unusable in my opinion, what I need is not a viewer, but simply more space for open programs, the taskbar simply isnt enough.. Thus multiple desktops, works great in fact, you can have one for all your commications needs.. (IRC, IM Client, Email etc..).. One for General Browsing, one for graphics work, one for coding.. (Listing mine actually..) But personally I feel the windows interface.. although intuitive for the first time user, is in fact a power users nightmare as simply it doesnt add the same depth as other Interfaces do..

Personally I hate the idea of the new proposed File Encryption System too, (I think thats still in there..), I mean come on, why am I not allowed to access files from anywhere else? Its bad enough already that Windows wont read anything saved in Linux, (damn /r/n)..

But apart from these points it seems like a step forward of sorts, but I certainly wont be buying it personally, looking at the featurelist there is nothing that really stands out as something that I really really need.

Anyway, enough from me.. Yawnster

PS.. Apparent release date is 30th Jan 2007 if you didnt know already..

MacForum

Post by MacForum »

Lastof wrote: I'm a Mac guy, 'nuff said.

Same here, and I think i'm of the same opinion about Vista. Of course, as it's
been called "vista copies mac os for every feature; vista is crap for no real
reason other than I use a mac" camp. Oh well, it's one camp i'm particularly
fond of at the moment.
Like Macs or just want to see Olympus Live? ;)
www.macgig.com

macgig

Post by macgig »

Looks like OSX to me in many ways. What's the release date now? :lol: