Search Backend Selection

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Search Backend Selection

Post by Highway of Life »

huh!

Cool Avatar Ida!

Ida

Post by Ida »

It's an old one :mrgreen:
Ida == Gamall :) http://gamall-ida.com

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

But I think it's safe to say that a large number of people do indeed use MySql 4+ so there will be no problems when the database gets larger. Incidentally, there is a huge discussion on search in large databases in this topic: phpBB Tweaks for large forums

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

It's important to keep in mind that Olympus uses a different technique for the search which hopefully has much better performance than the 2.0.x version.

code reader

Post by code reader »

naderman wrote: It's important to keep in mind that Olympus uses a different technique for the search which hopefully has much better performance than the 2.0.x version.
this is good to know.
some questions:
did anyone measure search and insert performance on a comparable database, and can you give us a hint regarding how much is it actually better than 2.0 (is "much" 30% better or tenfold?)?
if it is indeed that much better, what is the complexity of backporting?

thanks.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

code reader wrote: some questions:
did anyone measure search and insert performance on a comparable database, and can you give us a hint regarding how much is it actually better than 2.0 (is "much" 30% better or tenfold?)?
if it is indeed that much better, what is the complexity of backporting?
I am in the process of creating an fulltext native index for my recently upgraded phpBB2 to phpBB3 board with 20,000 (large) posts, and I thought this information might be relevant.
I ran the fulltext native index and it generated an extra ~90MB in Database size.

If you think that is large... it is... :D

But, on the other hand, the posts are like books, each one. So I expected it to take up some room, but +90MB?
So, I switched to the MySQL fulltext search backend, and saw HUGE performace increase, it #1 was faster, and #2 it actually found all the results when I ran the test search.
But even after two days of creating the index, the fulltext native is still not done, so I don't know if it's better, but an extra ~90MB of database is too much for only 20,000 posts IMO.

On the other hand, it's possible that it's just my board. As when it was a phpBB2 board, the entire database used ~30MB, and before fulltext native indexing as a phpBB3 board, it used ~17MB.

Thought that might also be of interest to the Official upgrade script creator (Graham) ;)

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

fulltext_native should not consume more space than the phpBB2 version, so this really doesn't sound correct.

pc-tutorials

Post by pc-tutorials »

Highway of Life wrote: it's possible that it's just my board. As when it was a phpBB2 board, the entire database used ~30MB, and before fulltext native indexing as a phpBB3 board, it used ~17MB.
Have you tried to use the Optimise or the Repair command for all tables? I think that's the problem
for($i=1;$i>0;$i++){
echo "Bug detected, fix in progress";
}
----------------
Sorry for bad English, I'm not native :)