Beta 1 to Beta 2 Database Changes

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ectoman

Beta 1 to Beta 2 Database Changes

Post by Ectoman »

I can't go far enough back in the change log to see the changes to the database that occured in the CVS. I am unable to drop the beta 1 tables while I'm upgrading to beta 2 for security purposes.. so I'm looking for a list that I can change manually.

Anyone know? AFAIK they were just changes between the field types. Like changing from INT to TINYINT or something like that.

SamG

Re: Beta 1 to Beta 2 Database Changes

Post by SamG »

There is (as you probably already know) limited support for betas and no support for upgrading across betas. That said, the commit log is the only resource you have, as far as I know.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

The database changes between B1 and B2 included type changes, name changes, some rows dropped, a few added. A nice assortment.

You should just be able to delete your database, then create a new one, then install Beta2 from scratch.

Or...

... did you run Beta1 live?

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

As I said.

I cannot drop my database. It is a security procaution.. I am not running live as of yet. I do have several dozen forums with permissions set that I would like to keep.

At this time I have just changed the prefix and installed the latest CVS.

I can now compare the differences between the two manually and update the rows.

Chris Archer

Post by Chris Archer »

Ectoman wrote: I am not running live as of yet.
Ectoman wrote: I do have several dozen forums with permissions set that I would like to keep.

It's not technically the same, but I think that your case can be considered as live environment.
The mirror never sees itself.
The reflection never is itself.

code reader

Post by code reader »

you can get a comprehensive list of what was changed by running cvs diff. (much better than following the commit log).
assuming you use mysql, go to the install/schemas directory, and run
cvs diff -uBw -r release_3_0_B1 -r release_3_0_B2 mysql_schema.sql
if you use a different db engine, do the same for the appropriate file.
there is a Perl script (google mysqldiff) that will take two structure dumps and will create a script (in perl) to convert one db to the other.
you will need to do something similar to the schema_data.sql file (no mysqldiff help there...)
good luck.

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

Out of interest, why can't you drop the tables? What are the "security reasons"?

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Well, actually, he said, he can't drop the database (which I can imagine, many hosts hand out a fixed number of DBs)... By which he might mean he can't drop the tables, but it is a different thing. Ectoman, can you also not drop individual tables? I rarely drop databases even on my test environment; I just create a database for every purpose I need one for and never touch it again. I might drop it when it truely has lost its purpose for ever, but that time has never come until now.

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

Well why can't you do a new install and use the prefix phpBBb2_?

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

http://phpbb.cvs.sourceforge.net/phpbb/ ... f_format=h" target="_blank

Make of that what you will...