Search Backend Selection

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Wert

Re: Search Backend Selection

Post by Wert »

Eelke wrote: I'm sure most boards have some kind of chat section...
I think it's a bit nuts to assume that "most" forums have a chat section.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Erm... Possibly, but I'm getting the feeling you are reading more into my post than I meant with it, since that wasn't exactly the main point of my post. The point was to explain what not indexing certain parts of a board is about (since someone was concerned that suddenly posts from private forums would show up in search results when "everything is indexed"). The chat section is merely an example of a part of a board that wouldn't be very beneficial to index. Whether or not the classification that "most" boards have one is accurate, is quite irrelevant. Also, I didn't mean at as a be-all-end-all argument against full text searching. Actually, I didn't mean it as an argument in favour or against anything at all, merely wanted to explain why someone would want to stop certain parts of a board to be indexed.

Wert

Post by Wert »

Eelke wrote: The chat section is merely an example of a part of a board that wouldn't be very beneficial to index.
Well, if it's just a "chat" forum, perhaps you should prune it now and again and perhaps re-index if it really bothers you. Or simply not use the fulltext at all.
Whether or not the classification that "most" boards have one is accurate, is quite irrelevant.
Nah, it's true. It's relevant. Not everyone uses their forum as a replacement for instant messaging.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

Eelke wrote: The chat section is merely an example of a part of a board that wouldn't be very beneficial to index.

I can't quite think of a hugely compelling reason not to index it, but anywho, as noted earlier, the fulltext index does not cost as much as a full set of native search tables, and thus it would be a better option to use. At 2.5 times smaller than the native job, even if you filterd out the chat section, you wouldn't get the native index smaller than that.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Oh, come on guys, please, I'm sure this is just a misunderstanding about the intentions of my original post. Again, I'm not arguing that built-in indexing is a wonderful thing and MySQL indexing sucks because you can not selectively index.

I was merely clearifying something for someone that didn't seem to get the key differences between the two. I added a quote to my original post that seems to have caused all this commotion, maybe it clearifies my intentions a bit.

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

NeoThermic wrote: I can't quite think of a hugely compelling reason not to index it,

Certainly, especially with the performance improvements of Olympus, you're probably right. But I was working on a project where search performance in phpBB 2.0 was awful (it may have been a hardware issue as well...I don't know if we really had the best hardware), to the point that we were not indexing the "Off-Topic Discussions" portion of the board (which, by the way, was about 50% of all posts in our case). While that's hardly a normal case, I think it qualifies as a hugely compelling reason. ;)

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

balding_ape wrote:
NeoThermic wrote: I can't quite think of a hugely compelling reason not to index it,

Certainly, especially with the performance improvements of Olympus, you're probably right. But I was working on a project where search performance in phpBB 2.0 was awful (it may have been a hardware issue as well...I don't know if we really had the best hardware), to the point that we were not indexing the "Off-Topic Discussions" portion of the board (which, by the way, was about 50% of all posts in our case). While that's hardly a normal case, I think it qualifies as a hugely compelling reason. ;)

That is quite compelling :) However, the old system has been shown not to scale as well as other more efficent ways of searching, and thus you shouldn't have any problems with native, even if 50% of your posts are off-topic.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Ida

Post by Ida »

Here's a n00bish question...

How do I select one or the other method in the 3.0B1 ACP ?
Ida == Gamall :) http://gamall-ida.com

ImTheMan

Post by ImTheMan »

General- Server Configuration - Search Settings

Ida

Post by Ida »

Oops.

It seems I had overlooked them. Thanks.
Ida == Gamall :) http://gamall-ida.com