Does Olympus stuff all attachments into a single dir?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
OddDuck

Does Olympus stuff all attachments into a single dir?

Post by OddDuck »

I know the attachment mod for 2.0.x shoves all the attachments into a single directory. I'm wondering if Olympus splits these up into multiple directories, or if it is the same.
phpBB phpBB phpBB phpBB

Yawnster

Re: Does Olympus stuff all attachments into a single dir?

Post by Yawnster »

to my knowledge everything goes into the /files directory, however I am sure it wont be too much trouble to add in directory support.. I am sure a mod will appear for it at some point..

Yawnster

morbidpaloza

Post by morbidpaloza »

on my site I get atleast 100 or more files uploaded a day.

My question is....

If they all go to one dir will older files be over written if a new fil has the samr name?

My Skined phpBB3 TEST board!

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

morbidpalooza.com wrote: on my site I get atleast 100 or more files uploaded a day.

I do not think the attachment feature is for you then... i suggest you get a software which is doing the job better.

if they all go to one dir will older files be over written if a new fil has the samr name?

No, they all get renamed to have unique names as well as noted within the db. The attachment feature is not meant as a "file manager" for hack/tool/download/whatever sites but for the user to upload some images or files from time to time.

OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

That is what I use attachments for, but over the years, activity has swelled to just under 3000 files, which is the directory limit my host allows before truncating file listings, making backup a little difficult without 3rd party tools. I was just wondering if Olympus would make my life any easier. No biggy.
phpBB phpBB phpBB phpBB

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

OddDuck wrote: That is what I use attachments for, but over the years, activity has swelled to just under 3000 files, which is the directory limit my host allows before truncating file listings, making backup a little difficult without 3rd party tools. I was just wondering if Olympus would make my life any easier. No biggy.

I can't see that being a terribly hard mod to write that uses different directories once one file directory contains a certain amount of files.

I'd guess someone will write it.

morbidpaloza

Post by morbidpaloza »

OddDuck wrote: That is what I use attachments for, but over the years, activity has swelled to just under 3000 files, which is the directory limit my host allows before truncating file listings, making backup a little difficult without 3rd party tools. I was just wondering if Olympus would make my life any easier. No biggy.

Yo I here ya Oduck I have 1.2 gigz of filez

My Skined phpBB3 TEST board!

XIII

Post by XIII »

Maybe something like storing them in year\month folders?
That's how Wordpress keeps the uploads manageable.

Wert

Post by Wert »

Can uploaded files be directed to a directory that isn't web accessible? Both of course is phpBB accessible.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Chris Archer

Post by Chris Archer »

Yes, but 'physical downloading' feature will be unavailable.
The mirror never sees itself.
The reflection never is itself.