Isn't there going to be a slight problem later?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Spectral Dragon

Isn't there going to be a slight problem later?

Post by Spectral Dragon »

I wanted to see everyone's opinions on the upgrade problem I have been thinking about, though depending on how they go about it it won't so much be a "problem" as an annoyance....

PhPBB2 currently has the default path /phpBB2/, but if this is going to be changed to something standard such as /phpBB3/ then wouldn't this cause a bit of a problem later if you wanted it to show up as 3 on the path?

You could just leave it as 2 I am sure, or you could simply do a database move which requires some small in-the-files work but if it's a script then that's moot.

Cheater512

Re: Isn't there going to be a slight problem later?

Post by Cheater512 »

If you put your forum in /phpBB2/ then its your choice what to do.
Personally I think it doesnt look too good like that.

A 301/302 redirect to /phpBB3/ or a more descriptive url is pretty simple to do.

MikeStammer

Post by MikeStammer »

or get creative and use /forums/ and be done with it

paulblackgsx

Post by paulblackgsx »

Yeah, just use a different folder name and use a redirect.
Paul
My Blog

Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

I thought about this when installing my forum, thats why i put it under a /forum

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

Errrrr, you can still change the folder name, all you need to do is make sure you change the script path in the ACP, and cookie settings.

Stallyon

Post by Stallyon »

Or, do what I do when keeping up with CVS's ... Mine is in a h--p://dev.domain.tld/index.php ... but the CVS always puts it in ./phpBB2/. What I did was went below public_html and checked out the CVS there, and do the updates from there. Just be sure to delete the config.php before you cp the files to the dev directory.

dhn

Post by dhn »

Magnotta wrote: Errrrr, you can still change the folder name, all you need to do is make sure you change the script path in the ACP, and cookie settings.

Actually that is no longer needed in phpBB3 unless you want to specifically override it. Olympus is able to set these values automatically.

Side note: You can even rename the /adm folder to anything you want for added security. You only need to change the link to the admin panel.

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

dhn wrote: Side note: You can even rename the /adm folder to anything you want for added security. You only need to change the link to the admin panel.

So you guys jumped on that bandwagon too eh?
Not bad though.
The better part is that you don't have to reference it ANYWHERE. You can remove the link entirely and distribute bookmarks to your admins.

THAT is cool.
phpBB++

[edit]
Yes, this is security through obscurity, but that doesn't mean it's not cool.
The team is still commited to sanitizing all input and preventing all security issues via other avenues.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

SamG

Post by SamG »

I'm not sure that portable admin directories is security through obscurity. Withholding information (or even obscuring information, like is often done with all but the last four digits of credit card numbers) sometimes is just common sense. After all, there's no shame in not posting links to a file containing phpinfo() :) .