Jabber support

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Jan86

Re: Jabber support

Post by Jan86 »

well there should be some form of documentation that explain the new features ?

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Sure, probably somewhere on the hard drives of the devs..

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

spambot wrote: Sure, probably somewhere on the hard drives of the devs..
Or probably with the final release :)

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I'm pretty sure about that, they're probably working on loads of docs and tuts already :P

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Yes, they said they had a team devoted to the Documentation

RBH

Post by RBH »

I can't quite remember which parts of GoogleTalk are open up to all Jabber-esque technologies and which aren't. At least for now, it seems that it's unable to receive messages from external Jabber servers, such as my beta board.

:(

dhn

Post by dhn »

RBH wrote: I can't quite remember which parts of GoogleTalk are open up to all Jabber-esque technologies and which aren't. At least for now, it seems that it's unable to receive messages from external Jabber servers, such as my beta board
Add the user phpbb22(at)jabber(dot)org to your buddy list. You will then be able to receive messages from this board. At the moment, google does not let messages through by users not in your buddy list.

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

I am making a Jabber education site with a Jabber server for phpBB boards.
Having Jabber built in to phpBB could be the boost Jabber has been waiting for. :lol:

konni_b

Post by konni_b »

Jabber is so useful. One client to reach many contacts using various messaging systems. Being in Australia, just about everyone is using either gMail (or other fully jabber compliant email) or MSN/ Yahoo for IM - and depending which jabber server you connect with, most main transports are available (MSN,Yahoo,ICQ, AIM etc.). There is a gradual but steady shift toward Jabber (or is that wishful thinking).

The client I use is Psi (available all platforms). Have tried a number of other clients but overall happiest with this one. It Tabs, and is customisable (icon sets, sounds etc.). I think the ongoing dev support is important - before too long Psi will probably include whiteboard, a feature I use now with the jabber client, Coccinella. I can have multiple jabber accounts running (different IDs on same server or different servers) - rather a handy situation when you want to be available to say family but not to clients.

Add to this the fact that you can setup your own private or public Jabber server and users can still reach out to so many others with the same ID is pretty good. I will wait until full release of phpBB3 and will definately use it on my forum. Yeah, I like to know more about the features and how they can be implemented but I'm sure all will be explained in time.

I have to say, sometimes where you can post, and therefore where to find the thread that will answer your questions to save you posting is a bit confusing on this and the main phpSupport forum. THE REALLY WEIRD thing tho - is the post date on all the posts here - they read october 2004, june 2005, and current june 2006 - when the heck was beta 3 released?

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

konni_b wrote: when the heck was beta 3 released?
Yesterday. :)

CVS versions have been around for years however.
Beta means its all coming together now and its time for testing.