Excellent s/w!!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
zeroality

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by zeroality »

lol 3 pages of something that the topic creator is never going to read.

.Zach

Post by .Zach »

Yoda_IRC wrote:
itunes66 wrote: i hate viruses, spyware, adware and all that crap that why im on a mac
Macs are still vulnerable, its just people don't see the point in hitting them.
There were a couple of proof of concept viruses for Mac a while ago. Of course Apple reacted immediately, they where denying it was a problem within a day,
No, it's not that, it's just that they are extremely hard to create for macs, due its complex design, interface, etc. (May be something else, but I wouldn't know; my dad told me that)

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

The lack of viruses for Mac OSX in comparison to Windows XP is due to two reasons.

One is that it's core is inherently more secure than that of windows, partly due to that fact that the windows core was designed before the internet was a big thing, and has not been rewritten since, just added to and adapted. The Unix core of OSX however, since it was designed for use as a webserver, was designed with the possibility of attacks in mind.

The other factor is the low market share of macs, making any virus released have a much smaller number of victims.

Hence, it takes more effort to break it, and will affect many less people even once you have. It's a more "productive" use of time to code your attacks for windows.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

i have a question for all of you which do you think was made first, mac or pc?

anyway did you read about the article about the guy that hacked in a mac mini if so there is another article stating from another user that it was not a true competetion infact the username and password were already given and the user already had admin access plus there were more ports open then the normal mac user would have so another guy created a competetion just like it except no username and password was given and no body got in he even let the competetion run for 2-3 days i think it was after it was supposed to be over and still no body hacked in to it

also any mac virus requires User Interaction on pc's they don't often need any User Interaction to get into the system
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

itunes66 wrote: also any mac virus requires User Interaction on pc's they don't often need any User Interaction to get into the system
Thats BS. Very, very few worms/viruses don't need user interaction on PC's. People just say that because of a few reasons. Like they just want to be like everyone else and jump on the "lets bash MS" bandwagon, or that they have never tried pc's themselves and they are claiming it is fact because so many pc noobs just open every .exe they find on the web, and then complain about how insecure windows is because of the viruses they installed. :roll:

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

well i have used pc's before infact i was on one for 2 weeks i could not stand it also i used to use pc's, and actually it is true and false because if your not careful you will get a virus because they put viruses in ads alot, now if you use firefox which protects alot against getting viruses then your probbably ok but if you dont set a pc up right and hook it up to the internet you will get viruses on it

i am dropping out of the converstion right now cause i have more important things to do like play my xbox (yes i do have one)
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

dude111

Post by dude111 »

Xbox's are nice :)

I like my COMMIE quite a bit also :)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

itunes66 wrote: anyway did you read about the article about the guy that hacked in a mac mini if so there is another article stating from another user that it was not a true competetion infact the username and password were already given and the user already had admin access plus there were more ports open then the normal mac user would have so another guy created a competetion just like it except no username and password was given and no body got in he even let the competetion run for 2-3 days i think it was after it was supposed to be over and still no body hacked in to it

Yeah, I heard about that as well... it was a huge breakthrough that somebody actually hacked into a Mac!

But then, it was debunked later when it was discovered that he was given the root username and password prior to braking in.

Duh...
anybody can do that. :roll:
I was going to post this exact thing, but you beat me to it. ;)

There have been some programmers who have tried to create Trojans or Worms for Mac, but it's so difficult to get around the security emplacements that it just made it basically a waste of time. Plus, the ones that do make it, do very little damage and are easy to clean up.
Obviously the OS X system just does not have the frequency of trouble that Windows does.

Thus the saying, "bugs come in through open Windows" ;)

@iTunes66 I'm sure you are aware by now, if you have an Intel Mac, you can load Windows XP AND OS X on the same computer, so you can still get all your functionality for work related XP programs, or games. While still being able to own a Mac.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Highway of Life wrote: Thus the saying, "bugs come in through open Windows" ;)

Lol, well, that is true. :P

Doesn't bother me though, if you have more than half a brain all you really need is a firewall and an anti-spyware app. Sygate and Ad-Aware SE work perfectly for that. As long as you don't do something stupid and run an exe that you don't understand(most idiots will open anything that comes through email) you don't really need an anti-virus.

For an anti-virus though, I have used Avast for the last few years. The only time it has given me a warning about a virus is once in a while when I don't watch what exactly I am downloading. Since it yells at me before I can even look at it if there is something bad in a zip file or whatever I got(the only things that I have downloaded that have had viruses in them are zip packages, but they are no harm and as soon as you check the contents you know they are bad). But some of this data I have is too importiant not to have an anti-virus, even if I am positive I won't ever get anything. ;)

All in all, simply using FireFox keeps you out of most crap piles on the net. My dad has to do a spyware scan quite often since everyone that uses his pc uses IE, and he always has loads of spyware, but if I scan mine once a week I have mabey 3 things of spyware(usually advertising cookies). All that FF would need is something that would give noobs warnings about the downloads if they are exes or scripts that can harm the pc.

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

I've never understood what people's problem with Windows is personally.

I've got three computers on the go all runnning XP. SP2 adds a tonne of security features. Gri-soft do a fantastic free virus scanner and using Firefox or IE is fine unless you start going to dodgy sites.

Firefox with AdBlock (using filterset.g updater) is fantastic at stopping just about everything bad.

I really don't see why people bash windows so much though. Half the problem is that loads of people using it don't know what their doing, whereas mac and linux people tend to be more computer savy.

Just my 2p worth.