Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Obi_Wan

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by Obi_Wan »

SHS` wrote:
Schumi wrote: There has been added a new category to the bug tracker - "phpBB 3.0 Documentation" :D
That category has existed for as long as the 3.0 Bugs... the permissions got screwed up on the upgrade/maintenance yesterday. Sorry... nothing to see here.
:(
May /dev/null be with you!

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Only a few bugs left. :mrgreen:

3 new(though 1 of them will probably be thrown out)
1 awaiting info, but I doubt that one will last
and the other one about the report topic and warn user...I wonder when they will ever make a new icon for that. :P

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

SHS` wrote:
Schumi wrote: There has been added a new category to the bug tracker - "phpBB 3.0 Documentation" :D
That category has existed for as long as the 3.0 Bugs... the permissions got screwed up on the upgrade/maintenance yesterday. Sorry... nothing to see here.
bah, we KNOW your just trying to trick us ;)

Oh, and everyone watch the cvs for a commit removing the die in common.php . If they do that, we know it's beta, if they don't, it probabaly isn't (though they could just do it in the file they release as beta, and not cvs, but, I think it'd be nice symbolically to remove it.)
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

SHS` wrote:
In short. Expect the wait to continue till whenever. Should have known better.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Lastof wrote: Oh, and everyone watch the cvs for a commit removing the die in common.php . If they do that, we know it's beta, if they don't, it probabaly isn't (though they could just do it in the file they release as beta, and not cvs, but, I think it'd be nice symbolically to remove it.)
You should also look for them to remove the // that checks to make sure you deleted the install files(unless they did that since I installed a CVS a few weeks ago. :)

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

Lastof wrote: Oh, and everyone watch the cvs for a commit removing the die in common.php . If they do that, we know it's beta, if they don't, it probabaly isn't (though they could just do it in the file they release as beta, and not cvs, but, I think it'd be nice symbolically to remove it.)
You mean this CVS commit? Or do you mean this CVS commit? ;)

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

NeoThermic wrote:
You mean this CVS commit? Or do you mean this CVS commit? ;)

NeoThermic
Ah, obviously we have different meanings of remove. I mean the perminant kind, not the temporary, by mistake, kind, IMMEDIATLY followed by comments like oops, or hmm, maybe i should not comment this statement, eh?. The kind where it isn't just the devs forgetting that they have it commented out on their local copies, to allow them to actually test. ;)
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

TwistedWeather wrote:
DragonlordP wrote: Three bugs. I really believe the team wants to have it ready this evening :D :D :D
(as someone stated, today must be the phpbb birthday..)
It is their birthday. I suspect they are trying to get it out today as well for that reason. And who can blame them? Would be a great thing for them and phpbb as a whole if they can do this because of the significance of this day to phpbb and development. Heck even SHS reported a bug today.

I hope they can do it for the reasons i stated and as well to help avoid the bashing/endless questions on stalled/crappy development time which i am sure will ensue if this doesnt get released today.

I'll admit i still have a few doubts that this will get released today. I hope i am wrong though for the sake of myself, the developers and everyone else. As said i cant honestly think of a better day to do this then today because of it being phpbb birthday.
Wow - I hope the developers didn't decide to release the beta for the sake of making an arbitrary date. Yes, Saturday the 17th of June is the 6th anniversary of the first commit of phpBB1 to the CVS, but what does that have to do with the quality of the code, or if it's ready for public release? It's not getting its driver's license or going to a pub legally for the first time. It's a piece of software, for heaven's sake. Releasing it prematurely would put the developers' integrity in a bad light, cause them headaches, and fly in the face of the notion that phpBB 3.0 should and would be released when it is (and they are) ready. There are still a few pending bugs, and new bug reports are still coming in.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

rivaldo wrote:
TwistedWeather wrote:
DragonlordP wrote: Three bugs. I really believe the team wants to have it ready this evening :D :D :D
(as someone stated, today must be the phpbb birthday..)
It is their birthday. I suspect they are trying to get it out today as well for that reason. And who can blame them? Would be a great thing for them and phpbb as a whole if they can do this because of the significance of this day to phpbb and development. Heck even SHS reported a bug today.

I hope they can do it for the reasons i stated and as well to help avoid the bashing/endless questions on stalled/crappy development time which i am sure will ensue if this doesnt get released today.

I'll admit i still have a few doubts that this will get released today. I hope i am wrong though for the sake of myself, the developers and everyone else. As said i cant honestly think of a better day to do this then today because of it being phpbb birthday.
Wow - I hope the developers didn't decide to release the beta for the sake of making an arbitrary date. Yes, Saturday the 17th of June is the 6th anniversary of the first commit of phpBB1 to the CVS, but what does that have to do with the quality of the code, or if it's ready for public release? It's not getting its driver's license or going to a pub legally for the first time. It's a piece of software, for heaven's sake. Releasing it prematurely would put the developers' integrity in a bad light, cause them headaches, and fly in the face of the notion that phpBB 3.0 should and would be released when it is (and they are) ready. There are still a few pending bugs, and new bug reports are still coming in.
Talk about taking something totally out of context. Who EVER suggested releasing it PREMATURELY? I know i sure as heck didnt!

Stop giving people excuses! Because right now till the developers say otherwise THAT IS what your doing. In short i see no reason why Beta should be delayed any longer past today because I NOR ANYONE else has reported ( Or seen ) any SHOW STOPPER BUG'S for a good while now and i do believe all features are in! If it doesnt get released then the developers IMHO have ran into some kind of big problems and people should worry UNLESS they state what is going on!

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

rivaldo wrote: Wow - I hope the developers didn't decide to release the beta for the sake of making an arbitrary date. Yes, Saturday the 17th of June is the 6th anniversary of the first commit of phpBB1 to the CVS, but what does that have to do with the quality of the code, or if it's ready for public release? It's not getting its driver's license or going to a pub legally for the first time. It's a piece of software, for heaven's sake. Releasing it prematurely would put the developers' integrity in a bad light, cause them headaches, and fly in the face of the notion that phpBB 3.0 should and would be released when it is (and they are) ready. There are still a few pending bugs, and new bug reports are still coming in.
That would be a valid argument, EXCEPT you are fogetting we are talking about releasing BETA not the final software. Like come on, save a couple of bugs for the BETA :lol: .
Dennis Robinson