Excellent s/w!!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
.Zach

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by .Zach »

smithy_dll wrote:
.Zach wrote: lol, dells suck. Intel Celeron processors suck. I'm serious, they are the worst kind of processors, it's almost funny. :lol:
I can think of several good reasons to buy a celeron over say another processor.
You'd buy Celeron over AMD Athlon 64?!?! Has the world (or just you) gone mad?!?! 8O Only some dumbass would do that. (Not that I'm calling you one..hehe.. :P )

TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

.Zach wrote:
smithy_dll wrote: I can think of several good reasons to buy a celeron over say another processor.
You'd buy Celeron over AMD Athlon 64?!?! Has the world (or just you) gone mad?!?! 8O Only some dumbass would do that. (Not that I'm calling you one..hehe.. :P )
Kids these days... Spoiled. My server is my dad's old computer. Works fine, no need for anything special.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

.Zach wrote: You'd buy Celeron over AMD Athlon 64?!?! Has the world (or just you) gone mad?!?! 8O Only some dumbass would do that. (Not that I'm calling you one..hehe.. :P )
For a basic, low-cost system for my grandfather to surf the web and handle e-mail? Absolutely. Not everyone needs a space heater.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

Highway of Life wrote: can you see through semi-transparant PNG's?
Last time I checked IE did not fully support PNGs, transparency is kind of non-existant.

Oh and to the person who siad, if you don't run windows you must run a Mac, do you work for Yahoo by any chance? They informed me my non-wondows machine was a Mac, it isn't a Mac.

Anyone who only knows of Windows and Mac is clearly not very knowledgable when it comes to the internet.

Go visit netcraft.

According to netcraft, http://www.phpbb.com" target="_blank isn't using Mac or Windows:
netcraft.com wrote: http://www.phpbb.com" target="_blank was running unknown on Linux when last queried at 17-Jun-2006 10:56:47 GMT
You will note when it comes to servers and the internet microsoft is losing. I can't find the OS stats, but they are certianly losing out in the httpd stats (all hail the might Apache)

So for thoose of you who belive there are only 2 operating systems here are some more:
Unix, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD

I use Linux, mainly becuase it actually has developer tools on it,and doesn't hide the command line and has a usable shell. Plus its got GCC (standard C compiller), GNU Make (standard make system), a basic text editor that kicks notepads a$$, (gedit). and you don't need to run as an admin to do stuff. Infact I never login as an admin.

RBH

Post by RBH »

Yoda_IRC wrote: text editor that kicks notepads a$$, (gedit).
z0mg n00b u53 vim!!11eleventy

And so forth ;)

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

I've used vim a few times, I prefer nano for quick editing in a terminal though. :D

Not a fan of Emacs either, not found the time to learn all the controls yet.

And for some odd reason my copy of Linux has no Emacs! this is appalling, I ain't going to use Emacs but it should still be there, like all the other comands I never use.

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

well i like linux and unix but windows; bleh, i hate viruses, spyware, adware and all that crap that why im on a mac using MAC OS 10.4.6 but pc's are great for games, even though i dont like windows i think the person still needs to upgrade to XP and well with IE lets just say when pigs fly is when it follows internet standards
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Yoda_IRC wrote: You will note when it comes to servers and the internet microsoft is losing. I can't find the OS stats, but they are certianly losing out in the httpd stats (all hail the might Apache)
Those stats are easily skewed. IIS has made significant gains in the last few years, and had a particularly large jump just a few months ago. Microsoft hailed this, but didn't mention that it was because a major registrar switched its holding platform where parked domains hang out from Apache to IIS.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

itunes66 wrote: i hate viruses, spyware, adware and all that crap that why im on a mac
Macs are still vunrable, its just people don't see the point in hitting them.
There where a couple of proof of concept viruses for Mac a while ago. Of course Apple reacted immediatly, they where denying it was a problem within a day,

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

well as always apple releases a security update if needed and i do agree with you there has been mac viruses but all require user interaction like the Leopard.A trojan that was disguised as a picture and was supposed to be pictures of MAC OS 10.5 but instead a badly written trojan because it was written so badly that it was an input manager and so poorly written that any injected application failed to launch which was not supposed to happen
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one