Excellent s/w!!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
dude111

Excellent s/w!!

Post by dude111 »

This is the first phpBB site that actually works on my computer!!

Im on 98se and when i login to a phpBB site,it doesnt work well @ all...Keeps freezing,etc.... If i browse AS A GUEST,its fine.....

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=396117" target="_blank (My message i posted on the phpBB site telling them (Although they dont seem to care)) :(

I've since found that phpBB is using VERY OLD CODE and that may be why it doesnt work.......

This one works fine even when im logged in!!!!!

Congrats and good luck with this project :)

Dude111

Mark The Daemon

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by Mark The Daemon »

dude111 wrote: Im on 98se
Don't take this personally, but don't you think that you should be using a Operating System thats slighty newer than Windows 98

Mark
"Microsoft isn't the evil software company everyone thinks they are.
They just make crappy programs..."
Linus Torvalds, Creator of Linux OS

dude111

Post by dude111 »

Well 98se is a good os,dont get me wrong......

If all s/w out there used standard code,etc.. It wouldnt matter what OS you were using mate,it would all work fine :)

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

dude111 wrote: Well 98se is a good os,dont get me wrong......

If all s/w out there used standard code,etc.. It wouldnt matter what OS you were using mate,it would all work fine :)
I and many others beg to differ. I'd hate to image what keyloggers, trojans, viruses, et cetera that have infected your PC and doing their dirty work silently in the background.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

.Zach

Post by .Zach »

Okay, now this is the biggest load of bullplop I've heard of, but something that may fix it is going to your local circuit city, buying windows xp professional, installing it on your PC, downloading firefox and then install that! Hope that helps. :)

By the way, windows 98 is not a good OS. Take it from me: It is less secure than XP (that's pathetically insecure), has less features, less compatibility with some software and is old and outdated. No reason to really think it's good. :|

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

dude111 wrote: it doesnt work well @ all...Keeps freezing,etc
This is a problem with your browser, operating system or other software you have installed.

I website shouldn't be able to freeze your system even if it tryed to.

I suggest you contact your softwares manufacturer to inform them there software is faulty and needs fixing. Unfortunatly the chances of Microsoft ever fixing anything is very low.

Maybe you hardware is so slow it has problems processing HTML? that would be a hell of a poor machine of very inefficent code, (but then windows was written by microsoft, security and performance don't really matter to them because once someone finds out its bad quallity they have allready forked over the cash and its too late.)

If you can't afford to upgrade to winXP then use Linux (phpBB is an open source forum, why not view it from an open source browser on an open source operating system?).

Talking about bugs, I just remembered I need to file a bug report sometime, my MP3 player isn't playing nice with my OS :(

Though I do have to agree that phpBB3 is a truely great sytem from what I've seen. Even poked around in the CVS, not in a live enviroment of course.

.Zach

Post by .Zach »

Yoda_IRC wrote:
dude111 wrote: it doesnt work well @ all...Keeps freezing,etc
This is a problem with your browser, operating system or other software you have installed.

I website shouldn't be able to freeze your system even if it tryed to.

I suggest you contact your softwares manufacturer to inform them their software is faulty and needs fixing. Unfortunatly the chances of Microsoft ever fixing anything is very low.

Maybe you hardware is so slow it has problems processing HTML? that would be a hell of a poor machine of very inefficent code, (but then windows was written by microsoft, security and performance don't really matter to them because once someone finds out its bad quallity they have allready forked over the cash and its too late.)

If you can't afford to upgrade to winXP then use Linux (phpBB is an open source forum, why not view it from an open source browser on an open source operating system?).

Talking about bugs, I just remembered I need to file a bug report sometime, my MP3 player isn't playing nice with my OS :(

Though I do have to agree that phpBB3 is a truely great sytem from what I've seen. Even poked around in the CVS, not in a live enviroment of course.
Especially something over 8 years old. ;)

Drew***

Post by Drew*** »

Does that mean I should upgrade my Qdos system before running phpbb 3.0 :mrgreen:
Where would you like to go today? http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

We have information about your home http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/subscribe.php3

Mark The Daemon

Post by Mark The Daemon »

In the latest round of massive holes (linky linky) Microsoft arn't even releasing patches for 98.

A quote from Microsoft
We strongly recommend that those of you who are still running these older versions of Windows upgrade to a newer, more secure version, such as Windows XP SP2, as soon as possible
Now doesnt that tell you something?

Mark
"Microsoft isn't the evil software company everyone thinks they are.
They just make crappy programs..."
Linus Torvalds, Creator of Linux OS

dude111

Post by dude111 »

Well i just wish you all VERY GOOD LUCK with this phpbb project you have going..Its MUCH BETTER than the original code of phpbb :)

Hell,you could make some $$$ by offering to upgrade all existing phpbb sites with this code (I really like this site!!!! And im glad i came ashore)

God bless you all