Version 3.0 release?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Mystie

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by Mystie »

One of my boards has also been hit hard lately with spambots. We have a captcha with only one forum set for guest posting and they are getting away with it at the rate of several posts per day. To most high-traffic sites, thats nothing -but for us, its unusual.

I too, wonder how far after beta release, the "gold" edition will be available. My main site is NOT stable where it sits now and will have to be moved pretty soon. We are literally waiting with baited breath for Olympus. If the bad day comes when the previous host dies before Olympus (even beta) is released, we will lose probably 300 users. Needless to say, Im here every day waiting as patiently as possible.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Mystie wrote: If the bad day comes when the previous host dies before Olympus (even beta) is released, we will lose probably 300 users.
Ever hear of something called backups? ;)

If its that unstable, get a database update every few days or every week max.

And get a backup of all your files in the ftp(and if you change anything on your server, make sure you change that in the ftp backup as well).

Drew***

Post by Drew*** »

Mystie wrote: One of my boards has also been hit hard lately with spambots.

I too, wonder how far after beta release, the "gold" edition will be available. My main site is NOT stable where it sits now and will have to be moved pretty soon. We are literally waiting with baited breath for Olympus.
We are in the same boat and been referring to our situation lately as has having ghosts in the code :D Over the years we've updated and added mods. Not all mods were available for all updates so we did the best we could. We backup daily and pray.

Our forum could afford to go with a paid solution but phpbb brought us to the dance and we feel a certain amount of loyalty to phpbb. We also realize the nature open source projects and we are grateful for what the developers have done, so we wait patiently ...more or less :)
Where would you like to go today? http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

We have information about your home http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/subscribe.php3

digioz

Post by digioz »

Hey Guys,

I am also waiting anxiously for the release of Version 3.0, mostly because of the changes you have made to the user permission, verification and the added attachment capabilities. I think that this new version will be the best version released yet.

So I will be bold and repeat the question that started this thread again. Is there an approximate release date for Version 3.0 yet? If you had to guess in other words, would you say a few more weeks, month, years?

Thanks,
Pete
DigiOz Multimedia
http://www.digioz.com

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

digioz wrote: So I will be bold and repeat the question that started this thread again. Is there an approximate release date for Version 3.0 yet? If you had to guess in other words, would you say a few more weeks, month, years?
People have already answered and said 'I don't know'. Repeatedly.

digioz

Post by digioz »

the_dan wrote:
digioz wrote: So I will be bold and repeat the question that started this thread again. Is there an approximate release date for Version 3.0 yet? If you had to guess in other words, would you say a few more weeks, month, years?
People have already answered and said 'I don't know'. Repeatedly.
Sorry Dan, but that's what I don't understand. In any project I have ever done I have always had an estimated time frame in mind (or at least the project manager does). Does Version 3.0 not have a project manager that can give an estimate on its completion date?
DigiOz Multimedia
http://www.digioz.com

SamG

Post by SamG »

Consider it shell shock. phpBB 3 development has not gone according to plan -- to several plans, for that matter -- for a variety of reasons nobody could have foreseen. I think the teams are just plain reluctant to guess anymore, though all indications are that we are closer rather than farther from beta (announcements at the main site, opening of the bug tracker, etc.).

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

digioz wrote: Sorry Dan, but that's what I don't understand. In any project I have ever done I have always had an estimated time frame in mind (or at least the project manager does). Does Version 3.0 not have a project manager that can give an estimate on its completion date?
There may be internal deadlines, but these will never be made public (assuming they do exsist, I've seen no sign of any) for many reasons, not excluding the fact that if they were to be missed, everyone would be complaning.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

digioz

Post by digioz »

NeoThermic wrote:
digioz wrote: Sorry Dan, but that's what I don't understand. In any project I have ever done I have always had an estimated time frame in mind (or at least the project manager does). Does Version 3.0 not have a project manager that can give an estimate on its completion date?
There may be internal deadlines, but these will never be made public (assuming they do exsist, I've seen no sign of any) for many reasons, not excluding the fact that if they were to be missed, everyone would be complaning.

NeoThermic
I see! In that case, here is a different question. If I were to use the development version, what are the odds of the database table structure changing in a way that would prevent me from upgrading to the beta or final release of version 3.0? Are there any major database structure changes planned before beta release?

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

digioz wrote: I see! In that case, here is a different question. If I were to use the development version, what are the odds of the database table structure changing in a way that would prevent me from upgrading to the beta or final release of version 3.0? Are there any major database structure changes planned before beta release?

It's a great question, but my crystall ball is out for repairs :)

In short, just looking and noting that beta *should* hopefully mean feature complete, then you're not looking at huge structure changes. However, if bottlenecks are found that are caused by database layout, it is concevable that it would change. If you're good at MySQL (or your RDMS of choice) and PHP, there's no real reason why you couldn't try use a beta in a live enviroment and update as the beta progresses.

There certinally won't be any direct scripted update path from the beta to the gold, although there's a tiny chance that there might be one for RC to gold. We shall have to see though.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です