Version 3.0 release?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Lappert

Version 3.0 release?

Post by Lappert »

I know the FAQ says there's no definite release date for PHPBB 3.0 and other threads here IMO are unclear and ambiguous (with a bit of reading tea leaves). We run an active UBB board and are looking to migrate over to PhpBB, but would rather not get caught up in a flurry of betas, RC and so on.

If the release of 2.1/3.0 is close or imminent, we can wait till it's ready. So I guess I'm asking if anyone knows or can comment, is 3.0 very close at hand? Are we talking a few weeks or many months? If it's several months away, it may make sense to go with current stable now. Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

el noobe

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by el noobe »

If you have read all those stupid "phpBB will release in the next X days"-posts here, you can conclude that phpBB 3 has been "very close at hand" for more than half a year, now...

In fact, I won't make any suggestion to you if you should wait for phpBB 3 or not, because it could be released tomorrow or in months.
el noobe

Lappert

Post by Lappert »

Thanks for the reply ... but that's why I was asking if anyone had a better idea than sheer speculation. I would think the development team could say whether it's close or several months off. That wouldn't be creating false expectations.

Just wen through the same thing with Drupal 4.7.2, although it was a little more clear on their timing. After going through 4 RC, the release and two security patches, I'd rather get a general sense of when things might occur for PhpBB 3.0.

Lurttinen

Post by Lurttinen »

Only thing you'll get here is a sheer speculation.
They release it when it's done.

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Lappert wrote: I would think the development team could say whether it's close or several months off. That wouldn't be creating false expectations.
It would, since even the dev's can't really predict it (new bugs and security holes can be found, and they don't have fixed working hours). :)

Graham

Post by Graham »

Without commenting on dates, if you are looking to convert from the Perl based UBB software (UBB.classic) you're likely for the forseeable future to have to convert via the 2.0.x line anyway as a convertor for that direct to 3.0 is likely to require significant work. If UBB.threads (the php based one), there's likely to be a convertor sooner, but I can't give a date on when.

Certainly I will note however that I wouldn't recommend running anything before the RC versions live (and I'm not going to guarantee the availability of any convertors or upgrade scripts before those either at this point)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

Lappert wrote: (with a bit of reading tea leaves)
Divination is fun :mrgreen:

But seriously, what Graham said,

It's happened before, it could happen again, who knows, I don't know because my divination skills are somewhat lacking. Seems like we'll all just have to continue sitting around waiting for the baby to be delivered.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

In addition to Graham's points about conversion, consider that we have not yet released any beta version. There are beta and RC builds still to go through...that says "months" to me.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

balding_ape wrote: In addition to Graham's points about conversion, consider that we have not yet released any beta version. There are beta and RC builds still to go through...that says "months" to me.
I actually doubt that. I mean think about this. How long have you ever seen a bug prebeta stage last as long as this one has? I would like to think with how long they have been holding back on releasing the beta that when the beta's, RC's do get released they should move along fairly quicky.

And i suspect beta any day now. I have seen NO show stoppers ( The Bug's that the developers say can hold up release ) for a good time now and last the developers mentioned was that they were just cleaning up because all of the main features for the beta was in and that was over a week ago.

Personally i think Beta IS ready but they are holding off on releasing it till a certain day arrives which happens to be phpbb's B-Day which is right around the corner.

Lappert

Post by Lappert »

Thank you to Graham and others. I guess reading betwixt lines will have to do. But yes, we have UBB.classic, so the conversion issue is one we'll have to deal with. Our UBB board is [removed]. Our interest has been brewing over some time, but in the last few weeks the spambots were hitting us hard and UBB.classic doesn't have a captcha without performing major surgery. Even so, we'll need to do some modding, but I'm assuming based on what I've seen it's easier with phpBB.
Last edited by SHS` on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: There's no need to plug your forum, thanks.