AJAX in Olympus?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
balding_ape

Re: AJAX in Olympus?

Post by balding_ape »

MHO: "I want Ajax" doesn't make any sense to me. Ajax isn't a feature I can use. It doesn't post, or have attachments, or anything. It's a technology.

I'm much more interested in what the previous two posts have talked about: what *features* do you want? If Ajax is the best way to do them, then it will be implicated. But the developers should be the ones to decide how features are implemented.

ErikZ

Post by ErikZ »

I'm also happy there's no AJAX. Have PhpBB provide a basic, solid forum engine. After that, if you want Ajax, add the Mod or write one yourself.

The more stuff you add to the basic forum engine, the more that can go wrong.

Dygear

Post by Dygear »

I'll be happy if it comes along in phpBB4, we really don't need it here.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

My main beef with it from browsing around is some forum owners wanting way to much of it.
A little here and there is great. But not too much of it.

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

Dygear wrote: I'll be happy if it comes along in phpBB4, we really don't need it here.
If we don't need it here, why do we need it in 4?
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

VxJasonxV wrote:
Dygear wrote: I'll be happy if it comes along in phpBB4, we really don't need it here.
So that he won't have to address the issue until 5 years from now. ;)

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Highway of Life wrote:
VxJasonxV wrote:
So that he won't have to address the issue until 5 years from now. ;)
5 years 8O I think a more of 5 years :D

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

"Fast posting" sounds suspiciously much like [that well-known feature that will get replaced by the word-filtering if I mention it but is also referred to simply as QR], and it has already been said numerous times this is unlikely to ever make it into core phpBB (and rightly so, IMHO, it's forum software, not a chatbox, people seem to confuse the two more than is dear to me as it is - but let's not dwell on this point here, it has been discussed many times). Inline editing might be nice, although I don't see the problem with opening a new window for that either.

Either way, as has been pointed out in this thread before, AJAX is a technology, not something you can add as a feature. You can add features that employ AJAX, but saying that it will be easier to implement AJAX features "when AJAX is added" doesn't make much sense (if I create an inline editing feature that uses AJAX, that doesn't necesarrily make it any easier for anyone to then program an on-page username checker - it might make it easier to add a QR that uses AJAX, but that's purely because it would use similar code).

In fact, it looks to me that you are in fact asking for a complete AJAX framework/toolkit to be included, which is a different matter altogether.

[Edit: circumvented bad-word filtering of full-out name for QR]
Last edited by Eelke on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

Eelke wrote: "Fast posting" sounds suspiciously much like [quick reply will not be added], and it has already been said numerous times this is unlikely to ever make it into core phpBB (and rightly so, IMHO, it's forum software, not a chatbox, people seem to confuse the two more than is dear to me as it is - but let's not dwell on this point here, it has been discussed many times). Inline editing might be nice, although I don't see the problem with opening a new window for that either.

Either way, as has been pointed out in this thread before, AJAX is a technology, not something you can add as a feature. You can add features that employ AJAX, but saying that it will be easier to implement AJAX features "when AJAX is added" doesn't make much sense (if I create an inline editing feature that uses AJAX, that doesn't necesarrily make it any easier for anyone to then program an on-page username checker - it might make it easier to add a [quick reply will not be added] that uses AJAX, but that's purely because it would use similar code).

In fact, it looks to me that you are in fact asking for a complete AJAX framework/toolkit to be included, which is a different matter altogether.
MUST WE GO INTO this debate AGAIN? Have you ever even visited a chatroom? My guess is No or you would not be making OUTLANDISH statements like that. QR and chatrooms are NOT even close to being simular. NEED i spell it out for as to exactly why they are different?

profpete

Post by profpete »

TwistedWeather wrote: [[quick reply will not be added] will not be added]
Hmm.... recursive banned words... not exactly a "bug", or is it?