install easymod with different template

Having problems installing EM? Let's fix that
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
joaoferrao

install easymod with different template

Post by joaoferrao »

Can i install easymod with another template if the subsilver?

Nightrider

Re: install easymod with different template

Post by Nightrider »

SubSilver has to be installed before you can install EM. But you can also have other templates as well. I have 12 on my board and used to have 24 and EM was installed in all of them. SubSilver does not have to be the default template, it just has to be installed...

DaneeBoy

Post by DaneeBoy »

I need a little advice here, I just installed a new template called Classic and set it as the default when ever I try use Install mods from the ACP I get this error

Code: Select all

Template->make_filename(): Error - file admin/mod_header.tpl does not exist
Can or should I just reinstall Easymod so it works correctly with this template?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dan

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

You can do this one of two ways. You can reinstall EM or you can manually move the EM template files to the template images and admin folders...

If the EM install went smoothly the first time, that would probably be the easiest and safest option. You would need to decrease the EM version in EM Settings before doing so though; i.e. 0.1.13, 0.2.1, or even 0.2.9 would work. Anything less than 0.3.0 will be good enough to reinstall...

To manually move the files in place, this is what you need to copy into your new Classic template folder. There should be about 14 total files to move to your Classic/images and Classic/admin folders:

Code: Select all

copy easymod/includes/*.tpl to templates/Classic/admin/*.tpl
copy easymod/includes/emc.gif to templates/Classic/images/emc.gif
copy easymod/easymod.gif to templates/Classic/images/easymod.gif

DaneeBoy

Post by DaneeBoy »

Thank you much! I wound up screwing things up a little bit but installed the table cleaner mod and emptied all the added tables than reinstalled from the top.

Thanks again,
Dan

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Dan, I hope you have everything back in order now. The more you work with this stuff, the easier it will become...

DaneeBoy

Post by DaneeBoy »

Nightrider wrote: Dan, I hope you have everything back in order now. The more you work with this stuff, the easier it will become...

Thanks, I'm learning as I go along. After I got EasyMod installed again, I tried editing the database for something else and really messed things up. I wound up doing a fresh install. Luckily my forum is just starting out and didn't have to many members. :)

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Make sure you always make good backups before modifying your database or phpBB files, so that regardless of what happens, you can always recover. You also might want to create a Test board so that you can try new MODs there without disrupting your community. If the MOD installs cleanly on your Test board and you decide to keep it, the install into your Live board should go smoothly. Just make sure you keep your Test board as identical as possible as your Live board...

Creating Test phpBB Board

I can give you enough to get started.
  1. The first thing you want to do is download all of your board files and folders to your PC.
  2. Next, create a folder on your server called Test...
  3. Upload all of the board files and folders that you just downloaded to your PC back to your new Test folder...
  4. Create a new Test database
  5. Open the Test config.php file in your favorite editor and modify the dbname, dbuser, and dbpasswd settings to match your new Test Database
  6. Create a database backup of your Live board database from your ACP...
  7. Restore your new database backup back to your new Test database. This will probably take a long time. You will probably need some help with this step unless you are very familiar with phpMyAdmin...
  8. Modify phpbb_config table settings in your Test database that contain a full or partial board path to match the URL path on your new board
Your new Test board should be good to go at this point. My instructions above may take some time to accomplish, but it is worth it to have a Test board available to test install new MODs that you want to install on your Live board.

DaneeBoy

Post by DaneeBoy »

Excellent advice! I have a forum on one of my other domains that doesn't get used much I'm just going to swap out the DB and edit the configgy.

Thank again man! :)

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

You really want your Test board to be identical to your Live board. So unless your forum on the other domain is exactly the same as your Live board, it won't make a good testing environment. You need to be sure that what you install on your Test board will install the exact same way on your Live board and the only way to do that is if the two environments remain as identical as possible...

It also would be better if your Test and Live boards share the same domain with the same host. If each host you use isn't set up the same, a MOD installed on one forum may not react the same as it does on another. Differing versions of php and MySql could skew your Test...