Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SamG

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by SamG »

Highway of Life wrote:
robertmf wrote: Isn't allowing html in posts generally considered a security risk ?
Not really, in phpBB2, you have a config field that allows only the HTML that you want allowed on your forum. For instance, tables and div tags are pretty much harmless.
The risk being taken in "harmless" tags is in the attributes, particularly the event handlers.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Timmer

Post by Timmer »

SamG wrote: It's not creepy if it's not finished.
I think you just said the opposite of what you meant. That's a double negative. :)

Your statement equates to: "It's creepy if it's finished."
I got a postcard from my friend George. It was a satellite photo of the entire Earth. On the back he wrote, "Wish you were here."

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

It's not a double negative.. If it's not creepy when it's not finished, it doesn't mean it is creepy when it is :roll:

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

spambot wrote: It's not a double negative.. If it's not creepy when it's not finished, it doesn't mean it is creepy when it is :roll:
Whilst that is true in the Queen's English, who knows when it's American English... how many times have you seen "I could care less", when in the Queen's English it should be "I couldn't care less". ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

spambot wrote: If it's not creepy when it's not finished, it doesn't mean it is creepy when it is
true, or in mathematical notation
a =>b does not mean !a => !b
however a =>b does mean !b => !a

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

SHS` wrote: Whilst that is true in the Queen's English, who knows when it's American English... how many times have you seen "I could care less", when in the Queen's English it should be "I couldn't care less". ;)
How about "There ain't no way" :|

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: The BBcode seems diverse enough that html wouldnt be needed. I dont see if used very often either... might be good for the admin though. It does cut down on parsing time by taking it out too, instead of finding what is allowed.
that's just it though, if your site for instance, reads out of the phpBB database for something and it doesn't use the BBCode parser at all, then it can interpret HTML as HTML, and display it as such, whereas BBCode would be displayed as just text.

thats the problem, not the inability to display certain things because BBCode doesn't support it :) that's always been fixable anyway and it's finally going to become really supported with Olympus which I'm very glad about, but the example above is why I'd prefer we still have the ability to define HTML in the ACP, at least in a limited fashion.

and it's only a security risk if the board admin is a friggin' idiot and enables script and object and a ton of other *beep* like that which people shouldn't need under any circumstances.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

SHS` wrote: Whilst that is true in the Queen's English, who knows when it's American English... how many times have you seen "I could care less", when in the Queen's English it should be "I couldn't care less". ;)
Ya, and when someone says "All but..."

Like "He is all but dead"...shouldn't that mean that is is everything except dead? Not over here...it means he is dead. :?

dhn

Post by dhn »

NNO-Stephen wrote: and it's only a security risk if the board admin is a friggin' idiot and enables script and object and a ton of other *beep* like that which people shouldn't need under any circumstances.
You just described 95% of the board admins out there.

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

dhn wrote:
NNO-Stephen wrote: and it's only a security risk if the board admin is a friggin' idiot and enables script and object and a ton of other *beep* like that which people shouldn't need under any circumstances.
You just described 95% of the board admins out there.
... and the other 5% are liars !!- :lol: :lol: :lol: