Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Yoda_IRC

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by Yoda_IRC »

robertmf wrote: there's no boss around to draw a line in granite on the features list and tell the devs "THIS IS IT- produce the core beta and additional features go into version increments/mods".
Erm I was under the impression the line had been drawn, unless feature frozen doesn't mean what I think it does ;)

And a for having no boss or managment:
http://www.phpbb.com/about/ wrote: Management Team
theFinn (Team Leader) - James Atkinson
SHS` - Jonathan Stanley
so I would guess that thoose two where the bosses.

Schumi

Post by Schumi »

13 out of 61 bugs are tagged for a later review, 5 bugs where the fix is already in progress, so we have a number of 43 bugs still to deal with. Scanning quickly over the titles I would guess that half of these 43 are realy minor issues. Actually nearly all of them aren't serious (often they're only about missing language strings), except the ones about cross database support or real error messages. I guess the number of bugs that deserve to be fixed before the beta isn't much higher than 15 and I personally don't expect that any show-stopping bugs may still appear, considering the limited amount of people currently testing the CVS versions.
"If sharks die, the sea dies" - Andy Cobb, ambassador SHARKPROJECT South Africa

SamG

Post by SamG »

robertmf wrote: Yes, this is 'feature creep' in action!
No, this is feature completion in action. It's not creepy if it's not finished.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

CoffeeOD

Post by CoffeeOD »

I must say something about this new (sometime coming) release. It´s really awesome, and im quite sure that many new users will come when this is out.

Admin panel changes are awesome. There´s many features that I have always wanted, and they´re there already without any mods needed.

If this release is easy to install to phpnuke, like updating bbtonuke (phpbb forums) have been in past, I couldn´t be more happy. Only thing I miss is easymod to phpnuke forums, but of course you cant have everything. Im looking forward to use this release with phpnuke, good job everyone who has made something with this.

darrenm

Post by darrenm »

I've been watching the CVS snapshots for a while now and a couple of weeks ago the beta seemed a long way off because the permissions system was still entirely missing, I've downloaded a new snapshot today and wow! I can't find anything bar a little bit of text in the installer and ACP that stops it going to beta.

I know the converters won't be out until gold but I really hope they release the converters with final betas or something because I would love to run a VB board side by side with a phpBB3 board to get the VB lovers moved over...

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

robertmf wrote: One disadvantage of having a 'flat organization' is there's no boss around to draw a line in granite on the features list and tell the devs "THIS IS IT- produce the core beta and additional features go into version increments/mods".
Erm... i forgot what i wanted to say.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

There's a distinct difference between deciding on a fixed set of features before you start and then working on implementing it (it's called designing) and making up new features as you go along and deciding to go and implement them because they are just so darn neat (feature creep). (To avoid any misunderstandings, it's the former that is happening over here, AFAIK).

Deciding to not implement features that are in your design is a whole different matter, and should be considered carefully (since you decided on a specific feature package, that might just be considered incomplete when you leave certain features out).

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

Acyd Burn wrote:
robertmf wrote: One disadvantage of having a 'flat organization' is there's no boss around to draw a line in granite on the features list and tell the devs "THIS IS IT- produce the core beta and additional features go into version increments/mods".
Erm... i forgot what i wanted to say.
That's quite all right.
http://www.memorylossonline.com/pastiss ... inute.html" target="_blank

I'm doing a bit of testor and I for one am impressed with the devs phpbb3 work!

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

sixty-four bugs still... it seems like we're getting nowhere except a buncha tiny-ass bugs keep getting reported as fast as they're being fixed. I mean I'm glad *beep* is getting fixed, but come ooooon, beta needs to get here eventually!!!

also I'm bummed that no HTML support is in Olympus :|

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

NNO-Stephen wrote: also I'm bummed that no HTML support is in Olympus :|
Well, actually, that's what the Custom BBcodes are for.

Yes, I know little things keep getting reported, once it hit me that it's == 'Beta', not == 'Perfect'
I quit reporting the Lang errors, those are just not show-stoppers.