New CAPTCHA

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
DavidMJ

Re: New CAPTCHA

Post by DavidMJ »

A forum need not be created for a policy to be written.
Freedom from fear

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

I disagree that this would be a great community coding project, as this topic proves ideas don't just come from 1 or 2 people, but from 100's, thus we need to close the net on this one.. I feel that the development of this section should not be done away from prying eyes as essentially what gets seen is never going to be a secret, actually quite the opposite..

I feel that the current captcha you have devised David is a great change from others currently in development around the net, personally I have not seen a single one like this and although I can see how it could be cracked, I cannot quite work out how I would do 1 step of it, and I think it would deter the vast majority of attackers just by the sheer number of steps involved.. I'll leave captchas at that..

Anybody for voice activation? Does phpBB plan, with this release or in the near future, to cater for visually impaired users? This is by no means a critism, but whilst we are on the subject.. I have no clue of exactly how voice randomisation software works, but I am guessing it would require a fair bit of code bloat compared with the amount of users that will encounter these problems..

Anyway, yet another essay.. Yawnster

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

The Registration Page wrote: If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise read this code please contact the Board Administrator.
Freedom from fear

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

Its looking better, but really, couldnt the computer just take the main image, shrink it, and find a match in pattern (not colour), then find the section to te right and decipher it? Its a bit more work for a decrypter, but essensially its the same as the classic VC. Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont see matching two similar shapes to be that difficult for a computer (and it did take me a minute of staring to figure out what matched...)
Dennis Robinson

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: Its looking better, but really, couldnt the computer just take the main image, shrink it, and find a match in pattern (not colour), then find the section to te right and decipher it? Its a bit more work for a decrypter, but essensially its the same as the classic VC. Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont see matching two similar shapes to be that difficult for a computer (and it did take me a minute of staring to figure out what matched...)
You say computer this and computer that as if using a computer is a magic wand. Instead of saying, try doing. You might feel your initial choice was a wrong one.
Freedom from fear

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

If I had the time, I would, but I have other projects I am working on, with no time for another. But Im saying that I dont think it will be secure, in the state it is now (and time will tell one way or another). Perhaps I may be wrong, and it will be hard to crack, but mabey you shouldnt be so confident in it.
Dennis Robinson

APTX

Post by APTX »

DavidMJ wrote: You say computer this and computer that as if using a computer is a magic wand.
It... isn't... magical? 8O
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

SamG

Post by SamG »

APTX wrote: Any sufficiently advanced technology…
For some reason web and bot technologies aren't the first things that pop into my head when I think about that phrase :mrgreen: .

APTX

Post by APTX »

It is said that you are a truly great person when people give you credit for other peoples quotes. :P
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Is it me or do other members also agree that the current confirmation code is way too difficult ?