A few feature comments and question

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
gutterballk7

Re: A few feature comments and question

Post by gutterballk7 »

:P You guys are the best, has anyone said that before??

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Graham wrote: You do realise that what you are suggesting is already possible - admin permissions are granular so if you don't want anyone other than the group leader(s) altering the membership of groups you just don't give people admin access to the groups and just make them leader of the groups you want them to manage. Remember a group can have more than one leader....
I realize this, Graham, but if I have someone that I want to specifically assist with Groups, it's impractical to make that person a leader of every single group on the forum. I don't think that this is all that weird a concept for a staff member, and this kind of loophole combined with that duty seems to me something that should be addressed.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

If you were to have a group to, for example, punish users that had misbehaved, which had numerous options set to "No", and wanted to give your mods the power to add and remove people to and from this group, and others, then they would need to have access to the admin panel's Group control, since if they were group leader, they would be in the group, and the restrictions would be applied to them too.

However, if they were to have group control, they would be able to add themselves to a group with permissions that they did not currently have, ie, admin powers.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Much better example, Lastof. Thank you.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Lastof wrote: If you were to have a group to, for example, punish users that had misbehaved, which had numerous options set to "No", and wanted to give your mods the power to add and remove people to and from this group, and others, then they would need to have access to the admin panel's Group control, since if they were group leader, they would be in the group, and the restrictions would be applied to them too.

However, if they were to have group control, they would be able to add themselves to a group with permissions that they did not currently have, ie, admin powers.
Nope...try it for yourself on a demo board...if you have all the permissions except being able to edit admin level permissions, you can edit everyones user and moderator(unless you remove that permission for them too...which I suggest you do for a mod) permissons...and you can still access the adminCP and all that...just the drop down box where the admin permissions would be is hidden. ;)

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

That is true, BUT, as I already stated here, that is not what we are discussing! as I already stated here

What were are discussing is the ability of a user to add themselve to a group that has full admin permissions if they only have group control permissions, which could be rectified by being able to make a specific group only adjustable by founder class admins.

ie, they are currently in the group "Mod Team", and have mod powers, as well as limited admin permissions such as access to the admin group contro.. The is another group, administrators, that has full admin powers, set via the group permissions section. If they add themselves to said group, unless they have a 'no' specified elsewhere for the powers that the admin group bestows, they then gain full admin powers. And that is the issue we are discussing.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Ah, I see...if they can edit groups they can make themselves part of the admin group... :(
(one other thing I noticed...you can ban yourself 8O ...that will hopefully be changed by the release...otherwise a lot of people might do it on accident. 8O )

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

SamG wrote: If you have feedback about an existing feature, you can post it in this forum. New feature suggestions go to the tracker, which is closed for v3.0. It'll reopen at the appropriate time for v3.2 development.
From what I've seen so far of phpbb3 from the user/mod end, it's a winner; incorporating the attachments mod and subtopics were my board's main needs - so IMO all the rest of the features are convenience/functionality gravy. 8)

gutterballk7

Post by gutterballk7 »

I should point out another rather large annoyance I have found, or what I think potentially exists, and this is also related to groups and an earlier post...

Let's say you want to make a group of restricted users. These are bad members who are moderated and such... (we are assuming you are doing a group of restricted users because the world knows user-by-user permissions is bad)...

Okay, so you add members to this restricted group. Problems? Yes. You can't force them into a moderation queue anywhere because the default roles say that Moderation queue is NO... and NO overrides all of the YES, making it impossible to throw the normal users into a moderation queue. Also, if you ignore the whole role issue, the members can easily remove themselves from the restricted group and get all of their wonderful posting powers back. Solutions to this? Hopefully I'm not missing something obvious...

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

gutterballk7 wrote: Let's say you want to make a group of restricted users. These are bad members who are moderated and such... (we are assuming you are doing a group of restricted users because the world knows user-by-user permissions is bad)...
You have more patience than I do - I'd just ban them for **a given length of time/permanent** depending on what the situation calls for.