Sugestion - Hook system like on vB 3.5

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
mant3ra

Sugestion - Hook system like on vB 3.5

Post by mant3ra »

hey i have little sugestion for next ver of phpbb...

can u make something like hook system for vb 3.5.1...couse i find that is little hard to install new hacks and mods which some takes more then 30 min and if some suport easymod im cant install all propery. couse im not using difoult templae subsilver im useing other one...so i can say easy mod is not that grate...and another thing...im new with phpbb and im not surre when i install loads of hacks and new phpbb v er. comes up...so i still need to editr and install all hack all over again??!

and with hook sysetem like vb 3.5.x have it..its easy all u need to do is to import *.xml file with proper code and sometime just to edit template code a liitle bit...?

so is it hard to make something like that for phpbb ?

theman05

Re: Sugestion - Hook system like on vB 3.5

Post by theman05 »

I'm not sure about the hook system, but the answer might be no as the feature list is frozen.

In regards to adding a lot of mods. I have at least 15 diffrent mods/hacks on my board. I upgrade using the code changes pack of the latest version.

Mark The Daemon

Post by Mark The Daemon »

My personal opinion is that having a system like that in phpBB would cause me to seriously consider not upgrading from the 2.x series.

I like to get in with the code and install MODs by hand, and change the code to fit my requirements. EasyMOD Complience for MODs is getting better and for some people its a great additional tool that you can use if you find installing MODs hard.

I'm sure that the EasyMOD team plan to release a version that will work on Olympus as well. I have used it on clients boards and it isn't that bad, it does the job quite efficently. Granted you may have to edit some code to get it to work fully but the same goes for the vB system.

All in all i think its a bad idea and i for one would not approve of it going into the phpBB codebase

Mark
"Microsoft isn't the evil software company everyone thinks they are.
They just make crappy programs..."
Linus Torvalds, Creator of Linux OS

mant3ra

Post by mant3ra »

i know...

but since i used vb for 2years and when vb 3.5.x come out i was glad to see hook system couse..its so easy to install hacks,unistall or just to disable them....
and that get 10/10 score from me...and will be nice that we have such nice system here on phpbb...

And hack for phpbb is so messy ....couse for ex. when i try to search for quick replay hack i find 100000 of them but the prob. is couse nobody dont post picture of that hack so can peoploe can see what downloading... or installing on they forums...

that will be nice.,..

to go like this:

Name of hack: blabla bla
Tested on: phpbb 2.xxx
Demo:www.somethig.com
Screenshot: Image of that hack

i need me 3days to find proper quick replay hack...and so it will me nice for me to make something like hook system...

everybody can use free copy of vb 3.5.x forum so u can try it by ur selff to see hows that works... :)

ok see ya...i hope that people who make hacks/mods to seend some screenshots of that hacks so people know hows that lookig.,.. :)

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Mark The Daemon wrote: My personal opinion is that having a system like that in phpBB would cause me to seriously consider not upgrading from the 2.x series.

I like to get in with the code and install MODs by hand, and change the code to fit my requirements. EasyMOD Complience for MODs is getting better and for some people its a great additional tool that you can use if you find installing MODs hard.

I'm sure that the EasyMOD team plan to release a version that will work on Olympus as well. I have used it on clients boards and it isn't that bad, it does the job quite efficently. Granted you may have to edit some code to get it to work fully but the same goes for the vB system.

All in all i think its a bad idea and i for one would not approve of it going into the phpBB codebase
So you would consider NOT upgrading if they made it EASIER to install mods? Wow!

Mark The Daemon

I honestly wouldn't.

I started using phpBB around 3 years ago and then became a active member over at phpBB.com around 18 months ago. I have made my own Premodded phpBB with a active userbase. I like to see all the code thats going into my forum files. I don't want something like a hook system where you can't see whats gone in, it just puts it straight in.

I want to install every MOD i use by hand. I mean we don't learn if we get spoon fed all our lives do we?

Mark

whitenexx

Post by whitenexx »

Hi I´M from Germany...sorry for my bad english...
I think the developers should built in a pluginsystem like it is in Joomla/Mambo.
Maybe it`s the same as in vB because it uses xml too.
I hope you guys understand me ;)
GreeTz from Germany!

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

Mark The Daemon wrote: I honestly wouldn't.

I started using phpBB around 3 years ago and then became a active member over at phpBB.com around 18 months ago. I have made my own Premodded phpBB with a active userbase. I like to see all the code thats going into my forum files. I don't want something like a hook system where you can't see whats gone in, it just puts it straight in.

I want to install every MOD i use by hand. I mean we don't learn if we get spoon fed all our lives do we?

Mark
Yes, that's why I dropped Windows and only use binary code now.
001011010010seeya
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

Mark The Daemon

Lets be honest about this. MOD installation is not hard. Follow the instructions exactly how is says in the text and then you will be fine. If you still find that hard then some nice people have grouped together and created EasyMOD for you all to use. A lot of the MODs currently available for phpBB are EM complient and therefore you shouldn't have a problem. If you do then there are dedicated support boards here to help you overcome this. Why create a whole new system when all it takes is to upload a few files and run one install. Personally i think the developers time is better spend developing bigger and better features that the whole community will use, not just a selection.

Mark

ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

Let's see here.. vB vs. phpBB topics don't go too well, they just create spamfests..

I've been a member of phpBB.com for two years before I quit. It's not because I hate phpBB (I still love it actually), but it's because of the users flaming everyone.. (not all, but... the ones I came accross......... ick..)

I've personally tried vB out, and I was very unimpressed with it. I couldn't figure out the Admin Panel very well, it was all disorganized, and it just didn't run that well at all. It's also packed with features that I do not need, karma being one of them. It's a great addition, but it shouldn't be part of the core code. Other than that, I couldn't figure out vB in general anyway, so I quickly stopped using it and stayed with phpBB as it was.

That's.... what I have to say...
Someplace where it's dark, someplace where it's quiet, I feel at home... I have nowhere to go any longer, as that's what I desire.