A few feature comments and question

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
gutterballk7

A few feature comments and question

Post by gutterballk7 »

Okay, I have to say a few things because I have been obsessing over phpBB3 for the past few hours where I should have been doing my homework...

1) I finally figured out what roles were for through experimentation... OMG I'm in love with the new permissions system now. It is THE BEST. They are better than presets too....

2) Now I'm desperately missing my permissions due to some SQL query problem... no I'm not requesting help nor am I saying I found a bug because I know there is a bug tracker and I am assuming this has been taken care of - it's something you can't miss. However, my real question about this is - what is going on with sourceforge CVS? Half the time I come here and it has developer CVS downloads because sourceforge is apparently down. I'm anxious to have forum permissions for groups and etc working so I can tinker with it and waste my time, but CVS has me going crazy.

3) I saw this asked somewhere else, but I didn't see the answer: about when would an upgrade script be available? Would it come with the beta or the gold/near-gold release?

(Personally, I do not view this as support questions, and I am terribly sorry if they are viewed as so. I have no intentions to disobey the big yellow-orange box at the top of this screen - actually, I love that feature too. See, this is why phpBB3 owns all!)

SamG

Re: A few feature comments and question

Post by SamG »

I seem to recall Graham mentioning that the point for the release of the upgrade script was not yet fixed. My impression is that if they do release an upgrade script during the beta phase we can consider that an early release. But I may be wrong about that.

gutterballk7

Post by gutterballk7 »

Okay, well I was just looking for a general idea. Basically, I was looking for either final or not. No big deal.

Something else I noticed... when someone edits a post, the box comes up in the post saying it was edited. Now, I'm not sure if that only shows up when mods/admins edit posts... or if anyone edits it. I see it in action on this board, but I downloaded the CVS, and after tinkering, got really lost and didn't figure out where it went. In Posting settings, it's clearly visible.. an option to show when posts were edited... but I never see them. It must be hiding from me....

... it's under developement and I understand nothing's perfect. But if it is there, then I'm confused as a monkey without bananas.... can't find the setting for it.

nuclear_eclipse

Post by nuclear_eclipse »

AFAIK, the text saying a post has been edited only shows up if it's been a while since the post has been created. Otherwise, there's a grace period before it starts marking posts as edited, allowing the user to quickfix any mistakes without the 'edited post' text appearing.

gutterballk7

Post by gutterballk7 »

Ah hah! Of course there has to be some goofy little catch... eh. Well that suits me. Now I would be super happy if the CVS was updated :lol: Patience!

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I believe the CVS is fully working now...it seemed to work for me. :)

gutterballk7

Post by gutterballk7 »

Yeah, I got the CVS, and now I'm quite entertained with roles and such.

However, I wanted to submit an idea, but am unable to find a working tracker that is mentioned in the rules. It says to use the tracker on SourceForge, but I go there and it says no tracker is set up.

SamG

Post by SamG »

If you have feedback about an existing feature, you can post it in this forum. New feature suggestions go to the tracker, which is closed for v3.0. It'll reopen at the appropriate time for v3.2 development.

gutterballk7

Post by gutterballk7 »

Okay, I have feedback on permissions - or maybe a logic question for them.

Let's say you have a member and give him/her some admin permissions - particularly power to edit users and their groups... well, that member could then give him/herself full admin powers just by changing his/her group. (Likewise, the person could promote anyone to a higher status than his/her current status.)

As far as I can see, there are two ways around this.
1) Assign admin permissions individually to each admin and remove admin permissions from the Administrators group itself.
2) Trust your admins to not do stupid stuff like this.

Another solution would to be edit the member's permissions and give them a NO status on the admin permissions you never want him/her to have, However, he/she could still upgrade other users to admins or whatever.

** Would it be possible to code the ACP to never let one user give another user more power than he/she has?

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

gutterballk7 wrote: Okay, I have feedback on permissions - or maybe a logic question for them.

Let's say you have a member and give him/her some admin permissions - particularly power to edit users and their groups... well, that member could then give him/herself full admin powers just by changing his/her group. (Likewise, the person could promote anyone to a higher status than his/her current status.)

As far as I can see, there are two ways around this.
1) Assign admin permissions individually to each admin and remove admin permissions from the Administrators group itself.
2) Trust your admins to not do stupid stuff like this.

Another solution would to be edit the member's permissions and give them a NO status on the admin permissions you never want him/her to have, However, he/she could still upgrade other users to admins or whatever.

** Would it be possible to code the ACP to never let one user give another user more power than he/she has?
Intresting and good question. The only issue i have is having a admin delete/demote the ROOT admins account. Hopefully they have made it so the root admin is protected.