Function Trace: open_files[5]->Write method not recognized.

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
siege911

Post by siege911 »

Here's what I did. I did an install of EasyMod and a whole bunch of mods for an update on my site. I transferred everything from phpNuke to phpBB. Everything worked fine. I did a test install and there were no problems.

Then I dumped the database for a clean database since there had been more posts in the old forum that needed to be updated. I also ran all of the SQL changes for the mods that I had and everything worked like a charm. Until...

I created a new phpbBB forum which was basically a mirror image of the current one in which I could run test upgrades and mods on. EasyMod wouldn't work. I ran the install program and it seemed to go ok. Then I tried to process a mod and it gave me this error.

What could I have done wrong?

GammaDX27

Re: Function Trace: open_files[5]->Write method not recogniz

Post by GammaDX27 »

In my experience, function trace errors usually occur when EM can’t write to a file.

The two most common reasons I have come across are ether errors in FTP file access permissions and “can’t make” errors. It should say what the problem is near the bottom of the error.

If it says it can’t make a directory, then go into the folder where the mod you are trying to process is, and manually create that folder. For example, if it says “Cannot make “templates”, then you would have to create a “templates” folder yourself.

As for errors in permissions, well, sometimes EasyMOD likes to reset read/write access to files it has previously modified. Make sure that the files that EM needs to mod have a CHMOD setting of “0777”, so it can be easily written to.

Trace errors are MUCH MUCH easier to fix then FIND errors. :D

Hope my advice helped you.

gixbecks

Re: Function Trace: open_files[5]->Write method not recogniz

Post by gixbecks »

I've the same problem.....
I tried to CHMOD the file to 777 (where i saw in error msg: MOD script line #180) but it still appear the SAME error message, what should i do to make it process??

Thank you!

MADA66000

Re: Function Trace: open_files[5]->Write method not recognized.

Post by MADA66000 »

And i have the same problem.I set up Chmod to 0777 but still not work "Critical Error

MOD script line #284"

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Actually the 777 permission is a very dangerous permission that should be avoided most of the time. Once you grant 777 privileges to a file or folder, anyone in the world has FULL read, write, execute access to the file, which would be a hacker's dream. There are only a few folders that should be set to 777 such as cache and images/avatars, along with any folder where you allow members to upload files to your server. All other folders should be set to 755...

File permissions vary widely from host to host. The standard file permission is 644 but there are exceptions. Some hosts require that the file permissions be set to 755, just like the folder permissions. I worked on a site a couple of days ago where the file permissions had to be set to 666, which is highly unusual. You can determine what your host allows/requires simply by uploading a file to your server. The host software will set the permissions correctly for the new uploaded file. That is what you would want to set for all other file permissions...

On many servers, if the file and/or folder permissions are set incorrectly either too high or too low, then it will block many operations, such as those performed by EM. So it is important to make sure that the file permissions are set correctly for your server. There is no one size fits all answer for file and folder permissions. On Windows servers, the folder permissions appear as 777 and file permissions as 666, but they cannot be modified. On Linux servers, you would almost never want to use those settings unless your host required it for some dumb reason...

If your host requires permissions other than 755 for folders and 644 for files, you will need to install a modified version of EM to work on your site. I will be happy to provide it to anyone who needs it...

MADA66000

Post by MADA66000 »

I need concrete help!Could anyone help me to install my mods with easymod?I don't have any ideea how to make it work because at every mod i get a lot of errors!Please help!I stay with my forum closed because nothing is working!I try to install Arcade mod manualy without easy mod but i could not find the file that i should modify in the folder and i get the last version of ArcadeMod.I am a begginer but i install the forum and work without errors, i install easy mod ok but with this i dont know how to make it work and full functionaly I need only arcade mod to be installed the rest is not so important.After that i believe that i could hanndle with games install.Thank you very much!
This is my pannel ,and after that i have the errors that i could not fix it.
Last edited by MADA66000 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

siege911

Post by siege911 »

Ya, that's basically what I'm getting. It worked just fine before I moved everything. Basically, I did a test upgrade of my board software (I was getting rid of phpNuke). I had got it all to work just fine with EasyMod, but then did a fresh install and basically just copied the modded phpBB files I had over and ran all of the SQL scripts again to get the site running. EVERYTHING ran perfectly except EasyMod. All of my mods. Everything. This is the only error on my boards. I even tried settin EM to an older version and reinstalling it. Same problem. I currently have my files set to 755 but I've tried 777 and a slew of other things. I don't know what the problem is.

MADA66000

Post by MADA66000 »

And i have set up chmod for file permision but nothing is working!And i dont have any problem only this one!Maybe somebody will help us to do something to work everything ok :lol:

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

MADA66000, what are the file permissions of the files on your site? If you aren't sure what the default file permissions should be, upload a file and check its permissions. That will tell you what your host allows/requires. Who is your host???

I'm really not sure what you mean by concrete help after my last reply to you, so I'm not sure what you are asking for. I was trying to give you concrete help before I got sick. If you are wanting someone else to help you, I would be happy to stay out of this topic and hope that someone else might come along to offer you some advice...

Did you realize that this is actually the wrong forum to be posting your EM and MOD install problems? This is one of the last places I would look to help someone since I devote most of my time in the Installing EM and Installing MODs using EM forums...

bogde

Post by bogde »

I realize this topic is rather old, but it's number one in Google when searching for this "error open_files[5]->Write method not recognized". So I thought I should post the solution that worked for me, hoping it will help others.

Symptoms:

When you try to install a mod, you get this error:

error open_files[5]->Write method not recognized

Problem:

Most likely the EasyMod settings were lost (maybe due some database changes, like importing old database files).

If you go to the EasyMod Settings, you get something like this:

Note the empty fields on the FTP settings.

Now, if you try to set these fields again, they are not saved. Most likely they are missing from the database and the MySQL command used is “UPDATE `em_setting_name` …”, which fails. (It should be something like “SELECT `em_setting_name` FROM `phpbb_config`” – to check if the record exists and then either “UPDATE …” as above, if the record exists, or “INSERT INTO `phpbb_config` VALUES(‘em_setting_name’, ‘em_setting_value’)”.

Solution:

You have to make sure these records are present in phpbb_config:

So open phpMyAdmin and insert these rows into the phpbb_config table.

Since you may not know the hash for the ftp password, just leave it blank and you can change it from the EasyMod Settings page later.

EM_password should be already present and you shouldn’t alter it. This is your EasyMod password. If you need to reset your EasyMod password, change this value to d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e and login without a password.

Now you should see you settings under EasyMod Settings page.

This worked for me and hopefully it will help others too.