Will phpBB3 have MODs?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Kail

Re: Will phpBB3 have MODs?

Post by Kail »

Again, modules that interface with the core functions by means of hooks is way better! MODs are technically archaic!
Styles/template designer
Former phpBB Team member
http://www.phpbb-se.com" target="_blank - phpBB på svenska!

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

Olympus will be released when it's ready to be. ;-)

Regarding guidelines for MODs to have to be as compatible with each other-- that is indeed impossible. MODs are code modifications, and as such, when you have so many modifications done to a clean, vanilla install, the code to modify for one MOD may already have been modified by a previously installed MOD. As per the above, there are countless possible combinations of MOD installs. Duplicate MODs that touch the same function/feature may prevent such compatibility.

Though it'd be nice for MODs to have no conflicts with each other, it's practically impossible to achieve such compatibility.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

Kail

Post by Kail »

Like I said, there are better ways of doing it. Here's an example of how you can add a new field to a page object in Drupal and also add a new form, all done by means of API calls.
http://drupaldocs.org/api/4.6/function/ ... le_nodeapi" target="_blank

The only actual permanent change you need to do is to add a field to your database table. All the code in the example above is stored in a module which can be enabled or disabled at any time.
Styles/template designer
Former phpBB Team member
http://www.phpbb-se.com" target="_blank - phpBB på svenska!

katmassive

Post by katmassive »

Kevin Clark wrote:
katmassive wrote:
pentapenguin wrote: But there's no point since if a MOD for 3 was released today it might not work when 3 is officially launched. ;)
tru but when is it going to be officially launched and also i think there should some kind of guideline restricting mods to be compatiable with each other.
That's impossible.
When it's released, people will start writing MODs and it won't be long before they're into 3 figures. How can you possibly check that your MOD fits in with all possible combinations of the others.
even i think all possible combinations will be ridicoulous i'm just stating for instance the sub-forum category hierachy mod it re-writes basically everything make it not as compatiable as another mod. Mods which re-write phpbb should have better alternatives. Because then you'll have to sacrafice one feature for antoher.

Ravager

Post by Ravager »

I'd like to bump this thread to ask how modifications will be handled with themes. Perhaps there is another thread about this somewhere, but what sort of system will be used with visual styles?

Currently, each time a mod has to be installed, each style has to be individually edited and since different styles have different codes, EasyMOD has a lot of trouble with some styles.

Will this incompatibility be addressed in Olympus? Will mods be made less intertwined with the styles they are applied to as to make them easier to maintain?

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

Ravager wrote: ...
Currently, each time a mod has to be installed, each style has to be individually edited and since different styles have different codes, EasyMOD has a lot of trouble with some styles.
One great improvement (if my statement is still valid - 'cause it's been a couple of weeks since I last had a decent look) is that the ACP is default style, meaning that other themes, styles etc... will not be used for the ACP, thus limiting the editing necessary for modifications to non ACP parts.
Also from my own experience, code for visualisation was mostly (again, it's been some time) moved from the php scripts to the templates. So modifications should be easier (at least that is my experience).
Procrastination is my hobby, but I keep on postponing it.

Pharaoh Atem

Post by Pharaoh Atem »

Kail wrote: Again, modules that interface with the core functions by means of hooks is way better! MODs are technically archaic!
I agree with Kail on this... If a Modules API was developed in which modules could be plugged in and code would just mesh together at load, then we may have easier MOD/Module debugging... However, the flexibility the addons are limited because they are restricted to the API... And I doubt that phpBB3, phpBB4, or even phpBB5 will contain Modules API to replace MOD design...

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

Any one here checked out Wordpress's plugin system?
Its all done by hooks. Its done rather well.

Probally why the admin panel takes 20 seconds to load on my P2 server. :lol:

SamG

Post by SamG »

The WordPress plugin system is nice…but those of us who MODed phpBB 1 thought we'd died and gone to heaven when phpBB 2 came out.

Software grows, and that takes time even under the best conditions. And phpBB 3 hasn't grown under the best conditions.

Grayle

Post by Grayle »

i'm a wordpress and phpbb user for some time now... what i would REALLY love is that phpbb had MODs that worked like the wordpress plugins! it's like so awesome! wish phpbb would ever do that...